What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Leaves Transparent Outlines When Cutting and pasting

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi and welcome.

Please upload your image.

ImageUploadIcon_02.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Off site image hosting results in lost images in our threads if and when the member discontinues the hosting services. By uploading the image to our server, the image will be preserved for the life span of the thread.

Thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is a result of the process that you used to isolate and separate the players from the background. How did you do that?

AstroNinjaben

I Just used the Selection tool (I think you can use it by pressing W) And i wanted to just sperate the background from the players in order to add some effects to the background without effecting the players...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Too many pixels were selected and it left behind a softened edge. You can open the original image back into this document and place it below the players that you have placed on their own layer.

You should never work on the original layer, always make duplicate. Also, when you make a selection, use a layer mask or use Cmd/Cntrl + J to copy the selection to its own layer.......this will leave the layer it's copied from intact.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In looking at your screen shot...........it looks like you did get them on their own layer....

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 3.05.38 PM.png

They are in your layer 0.............or am I mistaken?

AstroNinjaben

Yes you are right, but that was when i noticed that there were some outlines so i stopped Cutting out the background and made this post

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK...........Here I made a quick selection of the players (I did not include the bottom part)

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 3.24.09 PM.png

When I hit Cmd/Cntrl + J
the selection is then copied to it's own layer.

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 3.24.34 PM.png

Here is the layers panel.
Notice that the background copy layer is not damaged.

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 3.24.43 PM.png

When I turn the background copy layer back on.....

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 3.28.25 PM.png

You don't see any lines.

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 3.29.43 PM.png

If I want to add an effect layer.........

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 3.31.30 PM.png

I just create a new layer between them and add the effects....

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 3.31.48 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Astroninjaben said:
when i noticed that there were some outlines so i stopped Cutting out the background and made this post

This concerns me as this may be your problem, can you describe your exact technique you were using?

AstroNinjaben

thank you so much, this will help me, i was just selecting the Bakground wqith the Selection tool and the i did Ctrl+X And Ctrl+Shift+V

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, just make a selection of the players in it's entirety, then copy that selection to it's own layer (Cmd/Cntrl + J).

I also like to use layer masks. They should be something that you should familiarize yourself with.

Good luck!

AstroNinjaben

thank you, but one more thing, i find it much easier to Select the background than select the foreground, is here a way to Use Cut And then Paste Method without the lines? thanks

EDIT: Just Found out that your method in seperating the players from the background also gives me Transparent Outlines :(

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Whether you select the players or the background, it's doesn't matter. You can invert the selection to copy the background to it's own layer or the players to their own layer.

Here, I have inversed the selection.....

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 4.02.56 PM.png

to inverse the selection go to SELECT > INVERSE or Shift + Cmd/Cntrl + I

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 4.03.32 PM.png

After you hit Cmd/Cntrl + J this will isolate the back ground and not the players....

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 4.03.11 PM.png

Last edited:

AstroNinjaben

When i put the two layers together after inverse, i still get outlines :( there must be some sort of Anti-Aliasing Setting i have on or something

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you making new selections or are you using old ones?

What tool are you using.........the Quick Selection Tool or the Magic Wand Tool?