What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't drag sliders in photoshop when using wacom intuos pro tablet

dreamparacite

Hello photoshop gurus,

I've had this issue a few times and I'm not sure how to go about resolving it but I've found that sometimes when using a tablet (usually on a new set up, like I'm doing at work) when using a new tablet and photoshop it won't let me drag sliders such as for opacity or hue etc, only click on parts of the slider to jump around but I can't drag it with the stylus. I'm able to use sliders at home on my cintiq using CS6 and windows 8, but the system I'm having problems on is a thinkpad running windows 8 and photoshop CC using an intuos pro. Does anyone know if there's a setting I need to check/uncheck to resolve this? I've disabled windows ink and all the drivers are installed. Thanks!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
When you installed the tablet, did you go to Wacom's site and download the latest drivers? That would be the number one thing I would check. I also have an Intuos Pro and had to do that when I set it up the first time. It's supposed to go online and install the right ones but don't trust that. Next thing would possibly be to set Photoshop back to the default preferences.

dreamparacite

When you installed the tablet, did you go to Wacom's site and download the latest drivers? That would be the number one thing I would check. I also have an Intuos Pro and had to do that when I set it up the first time. It's supposed to go online and install the right ones but don't trust that. Next thing would possibly be to set Photoshop back to the default preferences.

I believe I installed from the CD alone but in any case I did just now download and install the latest drivers, restart and then attempt it again and it is still not working. You can click parts of the slider but not actually slide it. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Just checked and it seems that pressure does work, so it's not completely broken, unsure what's causing this or if it's something with photoshop CC (EDIT: Also tested and the tablet can move sliders in windows like the volume one, so this is Photoshop specific I think.)

Last edited:

ALB68

I am running CC 2014 and do not have an issue. Try resetting your PS preferences. Sometimes this fixes problems that don't seem to have an answer otherwise.

Also, I am running Windows 7- 64 bit. Reading this https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1538098?start=0&tstart=0
it could be an issue with CC2014 and Windows 8

Last edited:

dreamparacite

That didn't work, and now I don't have my photoshop preferences x_x I dunno. I'm moving to a new computer fairly soon, I'll wait until then and see if I have the same problem, but anyone feel free to offer solutions if you know of any.

ALB68

That didn't work, and now I don't have my photoshop preferences x_x I dunno. I'm moving to a new computer fairly soon, I'll wait until then and see if I have the same problem, but anyone feel free to offer solutions if you know of any.

Sorry, it doesn't appear there was an answer in that thread either. Kind of aggravating with any tablet, let alone an expensive Intuos Pro.

dreamparacite

I believe I "fixed" this, at least at the moment. I was using the drivers that came with my tablet's CD plus the latest drivers installed over that so I likely had two different wacom drivers installed at once and it's hard to say which had the issue or both. However, I uninstalled everything and deleted my old preferences and installed version 6.3.6-3 and the dragging works in photoshop! I think there still may be a drag delay when moving layers but I think that could maybe be sorted out by disabling windows ink and other things I haven't tried yet.

I tried the link you showed and the driver wasn't working but there could be a number of reasons why, I've uninstalled and reinstalled and restarted the laptop so much I'm not sure if that particular driver works or not but it's working with 6.3.6-3 so I'll just re-load my preferences and use this for now. Thanks for your help!

ALB68

I believe I "fixed" this, at least at the moment. I was using the drivers that came with my tablet's CD plus the latest drivers installed over that so I likely had two different wacom drivers installed at once and it's hard to say which had the issue or both. However, I uninstalled everything and deleted my old preferences and installed version 6.3.6-3 and the dragging works in photoshop! I think there still may be a drag delay when moving layers but I think that could maybe be sorted out by disabling windows ink and other things I haven't tried yet.

I tried the link you showed and the driver wasn't working but there could be a number of reasons why, I've uninstalled and reinstalled and restarted the laptop so much I'm not sure if that particular driver works or not but it's working with 6.3.6-3 so I'll just re-load my preferences and use this for now. Thanks for your help!

Good!
Always UnInstall the old driver before installing a new one. The driver version I am using is 6.3.10w2. I do not have Windows Ink unchecked. Install the driver with the tablet disconnected. Once the driver is installed, then plug the tablet into the USB. My tablet did not like the USB hub I have for some reason, so I ended up freeing up 2 USBs for the tablet and the wireless sender/receiver. It works flawlessly.

MrToM

Guru
Sorry I didn't join this party earlier but I couldn't get on the site.

Looks like you've sorted things now but this is what I've found....just in case its any further help.

MS, in their ultimate wisdom, decided to include a whole heap of 'tablet' drivers with Win7 + 8. (And in Win10 too...will they never learn!)

Now...to you, me and everyone else with half an ounce of sense knows that when referring to a 'tablet' we mean a graphics tablet....not so with MS....not surprising really as they never conform with the rest of the world on anything.

This means that for those millions of us who have been using gfx tablets for years and rely on their use for our income now have to take second place to those jumped up, still green behind the ears geeks that want to finger-paint the word 'knob' on their best mates forehead after he went unconscious from drinking half a shandy the night before and then 'share' it with the world....nice.

Finger-painting the word 'knob' is, of course, far more important than anyone trying to earn a living.

Those of us that couldn't give a fig about finger-painting the word 'knob' on anybodies forehead now have to jump through hoops just to 'fix' something which wasn't even broken in the first place.....until MS played with it.

My solution to the 'tablet' problem was to completely remove, delete, eradicate, clear, disable and delete again anything and everything 'tablet' related within windows before installing any Wacom drivers.

This includes settings, registry edits, file deletions and of course means lots of Gooooogling.

That, therefore, is my best solution...google what to remove/disable and then remove/disable it.
Then reboot and install the latest Wacom drivers.

Even after all that I have, and still do have, certain programs that when running disable the click function of Wacom pens.
Fortunately for me the program in question only affects the OS and not PS so closing it fixes the issue.

I'll get off my soapbox now I've vented my spleen.

Hope that helps some...at least if nothing else it put a wee smile on your face. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrTom.

Jessica Anders

Edit > Preferences > General
Make sure "Dynamic Color Sliders" is unchecked.

Not sure if this will help anyone else but it solved the problem for me!

Olafs Osh

Just registered to answer this and get some karma points.

Got a new Intuos Pro Small in Noc.2016 and also got the same problem The drivers in CD were from the year 2013, so I downloaded the latest driver and installed it via Device Manager/Human Input Devices/Wacom/Properties. Manually located the driver and installed it. With restart. /Win10

Works now. Without need to delete the old driver intallation leftovers. :]

Cheerio!

Last edited: