What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Resolution Issue

artist473

I hope this isn't an idiot question ...:confused:

I have CS5 on Windows 7. When I download photos from my Canon camera, their size is 48x72 inches @ 72 ppi. Previously, when I used the crop tool to adjust the image to the size I wanted, the resolution would rise accordingly, to 300 ppi or more. Now when I crop the photo, the ppi stays at 72. I haven't a clue as to why this is, or where to check to fix it. Can you help? Thanks!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I hope this isn't an idiot question ...:confused:

I have CS5 on Windows 7. When I download photos from my Canon camera, their size is 48x72 inches @ 72 ppi. Previously, when I used the crop tool to adjust the image to the size I wanted, the resolution would rise accordingly, to 300 ppi or more. Now when I crop the photo, the ppi stays at 72. I haven't a clue as to why this is, or where to check to fix it. Can you help? Thanks!

In Photoshop go to Image/Image Size

artist473

In Photoshop go to Image/Image Size

Thanks. Umm, I know that. I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. Previously, when I cropped the photo it would automatically increase resolution from 72 up to 300 or more when I reduced the size of the photo. I didn't have to do it manually. Yes, I know I can increase the resolution manually, but I always believed that wasn't the best way to do it, not to mention it's an extra step for me.

ALB68

Thanks. Umm, I know that. I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. Previously, when I cropped the photo it would automatically increase resolution from 72 up to 300 or more when I reduced the size of the photo. I didn't have to do it manually. Yes, I know I can increase the resolution manually, but I always believed that wasn't the best way to do it, not to mention it's an extra step for me.

Check your resolution setting in the crop tool -(yours might look different , this is CC 2014)
crop set.PNG

artist473

OK. It was an idiot question. The answer was right in front of my nose. Thanks *she says sheepishly.*

ALB68

OK. It was an idiot question. The answer was right in front of my nose. Thanks *she says sheepishly.*

Your welcome..no worries I do the same :lol: