What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed with screen and lighten blend mode problem

Baalie

I'm using CC 2014, I'm trying to add textures; smoke, fire etc onto logos, twitch overlays etc. But for some reason when my layers background is white and I use the screen or lighten blend mode to get rid of the black background on the texture it throws the whole thing behind my layer. When I hide the layer there's the texture with the black background intact, why is this happening?

Can you post an example PSD file for us to work with? (Use 'image' upload icon but select a PSD file)

It could be a combination of things so having a file would really speed things up.

Regards.
MrTom.

Well everything in that file is working just fine and as it should.

What were you expecting to happen?
Maybe if you tell us what you trying to do instead it may be better than trying to fix something which isn't broken.

Regards.
MrTom.

Well everything in that file is working just fine and as it should.

What were you expecting to happen?
Maybe if you tell us what you trying to do instead it may be better than trying to fix something which isn't broken.

Regards.
MrTom.

Well I wasn't expecting the smoke texture to be pushed behind the white background layer when it was above in layer list. what I was trying to do was get the smoke texture along the bottom of a white background, but everytime I used the screen or lighten blend mode the texture was just pushed behind the background layer, which I'm sure isn't supposed to happen, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the screen and lighten modes are supposed to get rid of the black.

...correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the screen and lighten modes are supposed to get rid of the black...
They do, and they are.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'Pushed behind'......do you mean the layer order changes?

That's pretty unusual if you do.

As far as I have tested everything in that file works as it should.

I don't know what you are expecting to see but white smoke on a white background isn't going to be very visible....if at all.

Unless you can clarify what this 'pushed behind' is I don't really know what else I can suggest.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Back