What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photomerge no longer creating layer masks

mjlem

Photomerge layer error.jpgHi all,

Currently experiencing an issue using Photomerge. It no longer is creating any layer masks. When I merge two photos together (ie, focus stacking), it simply stacks one photo on top of another and creates a short border.
I was using photomerge this morning and had no issues - it just seems to all of a sudden stopped working.

I've attached a photo to show an example of what happens. The same thing happens with every attempt. There are no layer masks created at all.

I've tried restoring photoshop default settings but no luck. Any ideas? Frustrating!

mjlem

Make sure to tick the Blend Images Together check box.

Usually I untick that check box, it creates the blended layer masks and then I 'auto blend layers" afterwards.

I did try checking the 'blend images together' check box as well but had no luck. It had the same result

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Not that this is a fix, but do you have all the latest PS updates installed? Also, we had a thread here recently where nothing tried worked for his issue, finally he un-installed PS and re-installed it and it cured the problem.

hawkeye

Guru
Top image blend layers unchecked = no mask. Bottom image with blend checked = mask:

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0

mjlem

Sorry - you're right that a mask is created with that check box ticked.

It seems the problem I am having is with the blending of the images. Your first image has still been correctly blended without the masks.

Here is what my image looks like when I check the 'blend layers' check box. One image is completely cut, the other is left untouched.

Photomerge layer error2.jpg

mjlem

Top image blend layers unchecked = no mask. Bottom image with blend checked = mask:

I think my issue is to do with blending then. In both of your examples, the image is correctly blended (one example with a mask, one without).

Mine simply cuts one image completely, and leaves the other untouched. Here is what mine looks like with the 'blend images' check box ticked:

Photomerge layer error2.jpg

hawkeye

Guru
On my example the top image is not blended. Notice the color difference between the two images. Blending attempts to take that away and blend the transitions which it has done on the 2nd image using layer masks.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0

mjlem

Ok so I found a fix for what I was trying to do. I had to make sure the "Seamless Tones & Colors" check box was unticked when I was auto-blending the layers. This did the trick. Thanks for your replies!

Photomerge layer error3.jpg