What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem when merging 2D layer with 3D object

Neo3

Hi Everyone,

I am encountering a problem with Photoshop CS5.

I have an object in .3ds file format, and I was able to import it to PS. I would like to add an image to it, which is in jpg format. I opened the .3ds file, and then on a new layer the image jpg file. The problem is, when I set the right position for the image and try to merg it with the 3d object, the processing beings and than the image file (together with the layer) disappears without being merged/painted on the object.

It is strange because when I tried it at first (same object), it was okay. But now I can only directly draw (like with brush tool or pencil) on the object, but merging image seems completely out of order.

Could you please help me? What should I check? (I chekcked the paint mode is diffuse.)

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!
Neo3

Neo3

Hi dv8_fx,

Thanks for your prompt reply!
No, I did not do this because I will need to be able to open the "base textures" of the original object. Imagine it as I have a ball object with a football.tga as the texture on it. Over this texture I would like to merge a logo, for example a football club logo.

I do this techique with other objects, and sometimes this happens, but I have no idea why.

Thanks!

Neo3

If I rasterize the 3D layer I can not rotate it anymore which is not good, because I have several images to merge on the 3D object. And as I mentioned, I am get used to this method, it works most of the time (importing image, rotating 3D object, setting image position, merging. importing next image, rotating object, etc.) After I have finished with everything, I open the football.tga I mentioned previously as this is the file I need the most for further works.

But for some reason PS denies to merge the image onto the 3D object. Not in every case, but in some cases, Maybe I should try obj or other format with this particular object?

I tried googling it, found the link ypu have pasted, but unfortunately id did not gave me a solution.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
If the problem occurs with this particular 3d object file only, you may have to try another format.

Have you tried converting the entire 3d group with the textures into a smart object?

Neo3

Thanks for trying to help me!

If I convert it to Smart object, it stops "being a 3D object" that I can rotate. So I can not convert it to anything that stops the rotating option.

I'm thinking something about the settings at the 3D menu, like opacity, or the paint mode, or anything that is not ok. But I have no idea yet.