What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with cs6 after new gpu

vac9181

Hi all
I am new to this site and was looking for help to solve my problem. I got a new gtx 970 card for christmas, Its been working fine apart from photoshop cs6, I can use cs6 but it bluescreens when i try and use the gradient overlay tool and change the opacily of the gradient. I have been talking to nvidia about it. and have uninstalled and reinstalled the gpu drivers using ddu and have bought a new bigger psu thinking it was a power issues. I have reinstalled cs6 on my other hdd away from the gpu drivers and updated my bios and i have tried using the gpu in the other pcie slot and resetting cs6 preferences but after all this it still's bluescreens? any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been going on since christmas :(

MrToM

Guru
What is the BSOD error message?

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Well, I was expecting a little more than just the code.

Can you post a screen shot of the event viewer for that error?
Please try and include as much relevant info as possible.

Regards.
MrTom.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hopefully, you are already well aware of the following, but in case you are not ...

CS6 came out in 2012, whereas the nVidia GTX 970 just came out last fall, so my first suspicion is that your older version of PS isn't compatible with a recently introduced card. The incompatibility may only show up when using certain PS tools.

There are a couple of ways you can proceed. For example, to check if backwards compatibility with an older version of PS truly is the issue, just pay $10 or $20 for a single month subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud, (or maybe even a trial download would work), download and install the latest version of PS, and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you've pretty much answered the question.

Another way to proceed is to read through: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq1.html , and work through the section titled, "Quick GPU Troubleshooting Tips". Notice that the 2nd thing they recommend is to update to the latest version of PS. ;-)

HTH,

Tom M

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Tom. Adobe is still supporting CS6 with updates. Could be he could just check on Adobe's site for the updates and it's possible that might cure it too.

MrToM

Guru
Its not a software issue.

That code indicates a hardware failure or excessive heat.

Without further info from the OP its impossible to say what exactly is the cause, and even then a 0x124 error is one of the more difficult to track down and isolate.

Installing new hardware in an old machine often causes problems simply because its been moved.......dust can kill a RAM stick in a heartbeat.

Regards.
MrTom.

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for pointing that out, Larry. You might be right, but I think I read somewhere that Adobe's updates to older programs are usually are about obvious bug fixes, and much less frequently about extending compatibility to hardware introduced at a later time. However, you might be right ... it's certainly worth checking.

Tom M

PS - MrTom, does the term "hardware failure" include scenarios where the hardware fails in some way to process a presumably legit SW instruction, so the OS just gives up instead of failing gracefully? In other words, is it a catch-all term?

MrToM

Guru
Tom Mann.
Not normally no.

Hardware Failure means just that....something somewhere is either getting too hot, not enough power, not seated correctly, plugged in wrong, or just old and crusty like me.

Like I said, without further info on the cause its impossible to track down which of those it would be.

Its very common that this error occurs after installation of new hardware in an old machine.....it could simply be dust inbetween contacts or new contacts in an old dusty slot.......and it only takes one contact to bring the whole ship to a grinding halt.

More info required to be absolutely sure.

Just for the record my latest build uses a new GFX 780 card and all my old versions of PS run fine with it.
The only difference is that all my stuff was new out of the box, so clean as a whistle.

Regards.
MrTom.

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for the info, Tom.

FWIW, I'm using a GTX 770 on a 9 month old machine, and no problems whatsoever with PS. Unfortunately, I don't keep any old versions of PS on this machine, so I can't check compatibility issues here.

T

ALB68

@Tom Mann.
Not normally no.

Hardware Failure means just that....something somewhere is either getting too hot, not enough power, not seated correctly, plugged in wrong, or just old and crusty like me.

Like I said, without further info on the cause its impossible to track down which of those it would be.

Its very common that this error occurs after installation of new hardware in an old machine.....it could simply be dust inbetween contacts or new contacts in an old dusty slot.......and it only takes one contact to bring the whole ship to a grinding halt.

More info required to be absolutely sure.

Just for the record my latest build uses a new GFX 780 card and all my old versions of PS run fine with it.
The only difference is that all my stuff was new out of the box, so clean as a whistle.

Regards.
MrTom.
@MrTom based on what was just said by OP that it appeared to work..then stopped working..makes me (same as you) think there is an overheated condition. This card, as you probably know has two fans. one of those fans could be failing causing the overheat. Just seems logical that when it's cool it works, but as it generates more heat the failure appears..does this make sense?

MrToM

Guru
ALB68

Makes perfect sense....
Most modern NVIDIA cards will throttle down at around 70 deg but thats with everything working as it should....although I'm not sure if it will totally shut down if there is a problem.

If it does then this would trigger the error and the BSOD.

We really need the OP onboard to ask them to check all these things....so far its just second guessing.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

@ALB68

Makes perfect sense....
Most modern NVIDIA cards will throttle down at around 70 deg but thats with everything working as it should....although I'm not sure if it will totally shut down if there is a problem.

If it does then this would trigger the error and the BSOD.

We really need the OP onboard to ask them to check all these things....so far its just second guessing.

Regards.
MrTom.

Heat-electronics worst enemy besides power surges.

MrToM

Guru
Absolutely!

Again, modern PSU's are pretty good when it comes to power spikes....good ones will constantly monitor incoming power and shut down before a spike can kill it, it'll even give you 'efficiency' data too!

I was quite surprised to find I could plug mine into a USB port......the amount of feedback it gives you is pretty amazing!

Long gone are the days of a power supply just supplying power! LOL.

Regards.
MrTom.

vac9181

Hi all
Thanks for all the post so far. I don't think it a heat issue as pc water cooled and the card never runs above 61c, even after running assassin's creed unity for 2 hours, max settings. it only blue screens when in ps cs6 when i move the opacity slider.
i can't post images as this site wont let me :(

ALB68

Hi all
Thanks for all the post so far. I don't think it a heat issue as pc water cooled and the card never runs above 61c, even after running assassin's creed unity for 2 hours, max settings. it only blue screens when in ps cs6 when i move the opacity slider.
i can't post images as this site wont let me :(

What is your difficulty posting images? ImageUploadIcon_02.png
Does this behavior of your screen only occur with Photoshop?

vac9181

i did that and i tried to upload images twice and it just don't post when i click the reply to thread button and yes it only does it in photoshop
photoshop-bluescreen.png

ALB68

Well at least you solved the upload problem. (the site has had some issues the last couple of days so it more than likely wasn't your fault).
So you have ruled out a heat issue. However the error is indicating a hardware issue and it may well be. It may just happen that Photoshop makes the condition happen, if that makes any sense.
Why don't you join the Creative Cloud and download Photoshop 2014 as a trial, install it and see what happens. You may confirm that it is not a hardware problem. On the other hand, if you still have the issue then you need to dig further into your hardware. If you resolve that and you don't want to maintain the CC membership you don't have to and can revert back to CS6.
(by the way, CC2014 installs as a separate program and doesn't do anything to CS6)

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Although upgrading to a later version of PS is not a bad idea I'd stick with what you have for the moment.

You haven't yet, as far as I can ascertain, completely removed CS6 using Adobe's CC Cleaner tool and re-installed CS6 to the right drive.

Try that...it might work.

Regards.
MrTom.