What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need some way to recover psd file.

jeanmd

My computer crashed today while photoshop CS5.1 was saving/writing to a psd file. When I started my computer back up, and tried to open the file again, It only displays 1 layer shown as a corrupted image (As Shown Below - the Red Image). When I click on the file in the "Open" window (The Gray Image Below), the psd shows up correctly in the Preview window but doesn't show correctly when opened. I have lost all of my layers, by the way I have worked on this psd for weeks and I need some way to recover it.Please help....

Hi found this, not sure if it will work. You should be able to download a trial version from here https://creative.adobe.com/products/fireworks if you don't have it.
I know it's to late for you in this instance but always BACKUP your work!!!!!!!!!

https://forums.adobe.com/message/4277435Here's a good trick that's works in many cases. You'll be using Fireworks to open, and re-save the Photoshop file. This will fix most corruptions.

1. Open the corrupt Photoshop file in Fireworks.
  2. Use Fireworks to save it as a .psd Photoshop file. (Important: Do Not save it as a Fireworks file or another extension, because Photoshop may not recognize the layers, or you could lose data.)
  3. Remember to give your file a different name when saving, so you won't overwrite your original. (A good idea would be to create a backup of your original before trying this procedure.)
  4. Open your newly created file in Photoshop.
  5. Remember that many effects will not show in Fireworks, but should show up in the Photoshop layers.

Fireworks plays nicely with Photoshop, and generally preservers the most of the original layers/data. The older Fireworks versions are ok at this technique, but the newer CS versions are really good at preserving/transferring information. This works well when Photoshop and Fireworks are the same version/suite, to avoid the diffrent version (too old/new) conflict. If your file is badly corrupted, you may be able to get some of your data back using this technique. This may work with other Adobe software too?

---------------------

Another long-shot technique in Windows is to see if there's a Shadow Copy of your file (copy from a restore point). Right-click on the file, choose Properties from the list - in the Properties box, choose the Previous Versions tab. Hopefully (in theory…) there'll be a useable previous version to choose from. These instructions are for Vista. If the tab is not there, do a search for instructions for this feature on your operating system.

Good luck on the recovery of the PSD file. CS6 has file recovery on crash and in general backing up work is critical. Time between backups is usually determined by how much work are you willing to throw away and have to redo. I am unhappy losing even an hours worth of work so make sure I do saves and incremental backups (automatically with Time Machine on my Mac) every hour and as well use a UPS for supplying power to my system as sudden loss of power can also lose data without a UPS.

Unfortunately, being able to see the preview is not necessarily a good indicator of being able to recover. Just try the techniques above and see if you can recover. If you are saving with compatibility mode turned on, PS saves a flattened version of your image in the file that is separate from the Layered information. You are probably just looking at the flattened version and that does not mean the Layered portion of the file is healthy.

I hope it works out for you yet either way, take it as a good lesson to have a recovery plan in place for the data you spend many hours to create.

Back