What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS6 Adjustment Brush alignment problem

AdrianW

My problem with the adjustment brush is that instead of changing an area within the circle of the brush it instead adjusts an area just to lower right of the brush. In fact the actual area of adjustment is almost entirely outside of the brush’s circle except for a small crescent at around the 4-o’clock area.

This is happening with both the 32 and 64 bit versions Photoshop CS6 which I just installed on my new Windows 8.1 computer. The files I am working with are in Camera Raw 8.7.1. I still have a version of Photoshop CS5 on my computer and the adjustment brush works properly with this older version.

One additional thing I noticed is that this alignment problem is also happening with the spot removal tool in CS6 Camera Raw. When I center it and click to remove the spot the selected area suddenly jumps to the lower right of where I clicked.

I reinstalled Photoshop CS6 but that did not solve the problem. Does anyone have any idea on what’s going on and how to get this alignment problem fixed?

MrToM

Guru
...The files I am working with are in Camera Raw 8.7.1...

Are you sure its Camera Raw you are using?
The 'Adjustment Brush' and the 'Spot Healing Brush' tools work in a very different way in Camera Raw to those in Photoshop.

You don't use the 'brush' as a brush per-se but rather use it to define 'Source' and 'Target' areas.

Julianne Kost of TV.Adobe demonstrates this very well here...

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
@Mr Tom Where do you find an "adjustment brush" in PS similar to ACR? I am quite familiar with the one in ACR but PS? where?

MrToM

Guru
@Mr Tom Where do you find an "adjustment brush" in PS similar to ACR? I am quite familiar with the one in ACR but PS? where?
Ah....well....now, you see, I just threw that in there to see if you were paying attention.....[cough].

Hands up, guilty as charged.....there isn't one is there? :redface:

I really meant it to relate to any 'brush' related tool....I shouldn't have been so specific....sorry for the confusion.

I know what you're thinking though, "Did he check all the brushes or only some of them?"
Well to tell you the truth in all the excitement I kinda lost track myself, but since this is PS, the most powerful image editing software in the world and would take you years to perfect, you've gotta ask yourself one question:
"Is there an adjustment brush?"
Well, is there, Larry?

Regards.
MrTom.

:rofl:

AdrianW

Thanks for your response MrTom. The problem I am having is in using Camera Raw 8.7.1 with my Photoshop CS6 with my Windows 8.1 computer. After I position the spot removal tool and click it will try healing something 1/4-inch below and to the right... the larger the radius of the tool is the further the point will be that it will jump to. The same is true if I use the adjustment brush.

However if I bring up the same photo using Camera Raw 6.7 in Photoshop CS5 both tools work correctly and stay put exactly where I position them. So I'm trying to figure out if there is some way to fix this problem in ACR 8.7.1. I'd also be curious if anyone else is having this problem with 8.7.1.

AdrianW

FIXED!!!... I found the answer to my question at https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1663542. This alignment problem occurs due to the font size of my Windows 8.1 OS being set to "Larger - 150%". When I right-clicked my desktop screen reset the "text and other items" to "Medium - 125% (default)" the problem went away. Apparently this is a bug with both ACR 8.7 and 8.7.1. I'm not sure if there are any other versions of Camera Raw affected by this but I can confirm that this is not a problem with ACR 6.7.

ALB68

FIXED!!!... I found the answer to my question at https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1663542. This alignment problem occurs due to the font size of my Windows 8.1 OS being set to "Larger - 150%". When I right-clicked my desktop screen reset the "text and other items" to "Medium - 125% (default)" the problem went away. Apparently this is a bug with both ACR 8.7 and 8.7.1. I'm not sure if there are any other versions of Camera Raw affected by this but I can confirm that this is not a problem with ACR 6.7.

Very good! We will make note of the fix you found.

ALB68

Ah....well....now, you see, I just threw that in there to see if you were paying attention.....[cough].

Hands up, guilty as charged.....there isn't one is there? :redface:

I really meant it to relate to any 'brush' related tool....I shouldn't have been so specific....sorry for the confusion.

I know what you're thinking though, "Did he check all the brushes or only some of them?"
Well to tell you the truth in all the excitement I kinda lost track myself, but since this is PS, the most powerful image editing software in the world and would take you years to perfect, you've gotta ask yourself one question:
"Is there an adjustment brush?"
Well, is there, Larry?

Regards.
MrTom.

:rofl:

We're watching you punk...make my day :rofl:

MrToM

Guru
...This alignment problem occurs due to the font size...
Ooooooooo...you don't wanna be touching that!

You'll probably find that its not just that tool that the dpi setting will change......given time.
Most (if not all) software for windows is written using the default 96dpi, take screen shot, open it in PS and you'll see the dpi setting is 96...well, it would be 144dpi if your font size setting is 150%.

Mac users have a similar issue but the default there is 72, or 144 for 'retina' (its just double the pixel density).

I toyed with changing my windows font 'dpi' to that of my screen which would make everything 1:1....great!

No.

It just screwed everything up...back to 96 and left it there ever since.

So....don't touch that dial!

Regards.
MrTom.