What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CC 2014 / Intuos tablet causing PS to freeze (PLEASE HELP!)

WastingPenguins

Hi folks,

I've recently run into a serious issue that has stopped my workflow in its tracks. It has to do with some bizarre incompatibility issues between Photoshop CC 2014, Wacom Intuos tablets and Windows 8.1. I do not exactly know which one of those is the culprit, so here are some details.

The issue occurs whenever I use any keyboard shortcut involving the control key (step backwards is the big one) and the brush tool at the same time. If I try to make a brush stroke before fully releasing the shortcut keys (especially longer brush strokes), Photoshop completely freezes. It stays frozen until I move the stylus far away enough from the tablet that it no longer detects hovering; after a moment, the program will begin to function normally again. This doesn't ALWAYS happen; it seems to be more common when working in a document with many layers. If I open a new blank document, I can't get the glitch to work at all, but if I create a stack of layers with a few brush marks in each, the glitch can be reproduced easily almost 100 percent of the time.

Some more details:
-It happens with all Intuos drivers currently available via Wacom, including the ones on the legacy drivers page.
-The glitch is ONLY present in Photoshop CC 2014, not in older versions. However, I do not wish to roll back because I am working on a Surface Pro 3 and want to be able to pan and zoom using touch, which was only introduced in this version.
-It happens on all computers running Window 8/8.1/10 (I work for a tech company and have access to all varieties of test machines). Curiously, it does not seem to occur in Windows 7. I am able to reproduce the glitch immediately on every machine I install PS CC 2014 on.
-It happens with (seemingly) all Intuos tablets, not just my Intuos 3 tablet. I actually purchased a new Intuos 4 from Best Buy to see if that would resolve the issue, but it persisted exactly the same.
-It does NOT occur when drawing on the screen with the N-Trig pen that came with my SP3 -- it ONLY occurs when using a Wacom tablet.

And here's the big one:
-De-selecting "Use Windows Ink" under the "mapping" tab in my Intuos settings causes the issue to go away entirely, but also disables pressure sensitivity, so this is not a viable option.

Does anybody have any ideas? This is driving me absolutely up the wall.

Last edited:
My first thought is to dump windows 8 and go to Windows 7....or wait for 10.

If it works perfect in 7 My choice is a no brainer, as I cannot stand 8....

That said have you tried the windows setting, that lets software work , even if it was for a different version

Thanks for the comment, Mike! The trouble with rolling back to Windows 7 is that I'm working on a Surface Pro 3, which I sometimes use as a tablet, so I actually DO depend on a lot of the touch friendly features in Win8. For that reason, Win7 is not a great option in this situation.

I actually tested on the Windows 10 technical preview and the glitch continued to function EXACTLY the same as on Windows 8.1, so that's not a good option. This seems to be a Photoshop compatibility with the Windows Ink API. I know this because I just made another discovery.

I read this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1500227

...and found that there is actually a way to force Photoshop CC 2014 to use the old Wintab API instead of Windows Ink, by placing a specific text file in the Photoshop AppData folder. When I use this workaround, and then switch Windows Ink off in the Intuos control panel, my Intuos tablet works perfectly and the glitch disappears!.... HOWEVER, this renders my Surface Pro 3 pen completely useless because it apparently requires Windows Ink to register pen pressure.That's a problem, because I switch back and forth between the two, depending on what kind of job I'm working on.

UGH.

I also tried running the Windows program compatibility tool and it didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion though.

My guess is that this is some weird glitch that will be ironed out in a future update to Photoshop CC, but in the mean time, it's totally maddening....

Last edited:
I too use a Wacom....and would be lost without. I might suggest that you drop Adobe tech a note...With the findings that you have presented, they may have a work around or even change a line of code or two... Good luck !

Edit: I previously thought that I had fixed the issue with a driver tweak, turns out I spoke too soon. Still looking forward to any suggestions, thanks!

Last edited:

Back