What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop delay in executing actions

Magdalena Lal

Hi there,

I have a problem with Photoshop (both on CS5 and CS6). When I perform actions, for example selecting, filling with color, painting with brush, they are executed with a delay (previous action effect appears). If I select area, then draw a line - selection emerges, but no line. If I fill area with color - line appears, but no color fill. There is no lag or stutter. It looks like an action is blocked till using next action.

MrToM

Guru
Try this...

actions_A_01.png

From the dropdown menu in the Actions Panel choose 'Playback Options'.
Check the option for the playback and see if changing to a different option works for you.
Setting to to 'Accelerated' should play without any delay.

Regards.
MrTom.

Magdalena Lal

Unfortunately, this didn't work. Playback performance was already set to "Accelerated" and changing it to other options didn't produce the desired effect.

MrToM

Guru
Post your action so we can try it for ourselves.....it could be something simple but without knowing what the action does it'll be difficult to pin down.

Regards.
MrTom.

Magdalena Lal

Do you mean I should record my actions and post them here?
I noticed that different types of selection work well, but delay still affects brush and for example drawing shapes. When I draw rectangle, first there appears border of drawn rectangle, then - when next action is performed - rectangle fills with color (as it should instantly). Brush creates only one dot (where drawn line starts) and then the rest of line appears - when next action is performed.

MrToM

Guru
...Do you mean I should record my actions and post them here?...
I would have said yes but reading your question again I see we are talking at crossed -purposes.

'Actions' are a recording of your workflow and have their own Panel....this is what I asked you to check earlier.

I now see that in fact you are not referring to 'Actions' at all and are in fact just referring to normal basic use of PS.

It was just an unfortunate choice of words to use but I see what you mean now.

Your problem could be any one of many things and without knowing a lot more about the system you are using, file size, plugins loaded, etc etc its impossible to say exactly what is going on.

It sounds like you are on the limit for RAM usage by PS....have you changed the RAM allocation for PS?
As you are having the same problem with two different versions of PS it sounds more like a 'system' limitation than a PS error.

Post more details about your system specs, the file size your are working on, and, if you can, how much RAM PS is using at the time the problems occur.

The more info you can supply the better suggestions you'll get.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, I was also under the impression that this question was in reference to a Photoshop action.

Have you tried resetting Photoshop?

How to reset Photoshop preferences (In Windows):
First, hold down all three Ctrl + Alt + Shift buttons. Now "while keeping those button held," simply open Photoshop and as it loads, you should get a prompt asking if you would like to "delete the Photoshop settings file", Click yes

On a Mac, hold Shift + Option + Command while starting Photoshop to delete the preferences.

You should now have a fresh slate with all of the settings returned to their default.