What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recovering a file

lwebb

I know this has been addressed before but I couldn't find an answer in any of the previous posts.

I have an iMac 3.4 core i5 running Yosemite 10.10.1. When I bought it, using migration assistant, I transferred all my data from my older G4 and a back up terabyte and a couple 500 MB hard drives. This included 30 or more gigs of image files. Recently I decided to do some clean up and bought MacPaw Gemini, Super Duper, and Clean My Mac.

I worked for several hours moving and deleting then reformatting and partitioning.

Bottom line, the image folders Migration Assistant moved over turned out to be empty and somehow I lost all of my image files. Using “Data Rescue” I was able to find the majority of my image files form several places but when I try to open them I get “Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document.” Even the JPEGs don’t open. This is years and years of images.

The data appears to be there as the file sizes look correct anywhere from 30MB to 500MB. Ive tried changing their identifier to TIFF. I tried to place them in Illustrator and open them with Acrobat. I tried the Online PSD/PSB Extract/Recover and Telegraphics Photoshop file (PSD) Extract/Recover tool. Nothing

Back in the mid 80s when Photoshop came on two floppy disks I recovered a couple of very important files by replacing the header data opening a new PSD doc in Read Me then opening the bad file in Read Me and replacing the header info from the new doc to the bad doc. Frankly I don’t remember how I did it.
I’ve read you can create a file that’s the same size go to File>Import and copy the bad file into the new header. I tried to do that but File>Import only gives me “Video Frames To Layers” and “Images From Device”? Can anyone tell me what to look for in the header to know what to copy?