What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When exporting from Illustrator to photoshop traced image looks different. Help!!

RasIndi

If I try to place the illustrator file into photoshop and the traced image looks different. I have tried to save a copy to pdf from illustrator and it is the same issue.

How can I fix this?

Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 12.56.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-11 at 12.56.50 PM.png

Hi RasIndi
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure of what your wanting to fix? Is the quality of the export the issue? Can't tell exactly from these images.

Hi RasIndi
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure of what your wanting to fix? Is the quality of the export the issue? Can't tell exactly from these images.

It's the quality of the export. As you see in the pictures above, the first one is the original .ai file in illustrator - the background is solid black. However, when I export it to .pdf, the colors are messed up and the background turns from black to gray. It even happens when placing the .ai file into photoshop.

How do I fix this?

I would suspect that this may be the original file. What you perceive to be black is not and Illustrator is interpreting the color variation upon export.

Just a guess.

It's the quality of the export. As you see in the pictures above, the first one is the original .ai file in illustrator - the background is solid black. However, when I export it to .pdf, the colors are messed up and the background turns from black to gray. It even happens when placing the .ai file into photoshop.

How do I fix this?

Instead of saving to PDF and then bringing into Photoshop, try Exporting to a PSD file format, then open in Photoshop. See if this works better than the PDF.

I still get the problem. :(

Have you tried Expand Appearance in Ai and then do the save as PDF or export to PDF? What happens if you just copy it to the clipboard and then paste into Photoshop as pixels? Remember, too, that your taking vector content and converting it to bitmap content. I don't think it's possible to maintain the exact quality you would have as vector. Have you had this issue before or is this the first time?

Last edited:
Right now, we have almost no concrete information about your problem, so the best we can do is make educated guesses.

If you post:

1) the original AI file;
2) the PSD file after the AI file has been placed in PS;
3) the PDF file

we'll have a much better idea of what's causing the problem

Since these file types (and possibly, sizes) may not get along well with the forum file uploading software, just put the three files in a folder in Dropbox (or equivalent) and give us the URL by either posting it here, or by private message. Once we see can examine the files, we'll have a much better idea what caused the problem.

Cheers,

Tom M

Maybe it's my failing eyesight but I simply don't see much difference. However, I made this comparison. I used your expanded Ai file and Exported it to a PSD (not a PDF). I used 300ppi as the resolution, exported flat without retaining the layers, turned OFF anti-alias and I got these two results. I still don't see much if any. The first one is the PS file (screenshot)
PS SS.PNGAI SS.PNG

Last edited:
If its any help Larry I see a big difference between the two images....both the OP's originals and the ones you posted.

Its a very similar difference to a recent thread you were involved in, about the 'pure' black in CMYK...

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...-pdf-100-a-post1533706904.html#post1533706904

I don't know if this is a similar problem but if you can see the difference in the images you posted in that thread then I would say you could see the differences in this one.....to me the difference is very obvious....maybe someone else can confirm this?

Maybe its your monitor that's throwing things out?

I dunno what the solution is, but just to confirm your efforts are not wasted....I for one do see a difference.

Regards.
MrTom.

Yup, MrTom, there is indeed a *big* difference -- but it's all in the darker tones, so if one doesn't examine the images in a controlled light environment, on a good monitor that can be brought into good state of calibration, I can see how it's possible it could be missed.

Of course, the other way to "see" that they are different is going by the numbers or histograms. The darkest black in the 2nd image posted by the OP is 30, whereas the darkest black in the 1st image he posted is 0. That's a huge difference.

In case anyone is interested, there is a nice little Firefox add-on called "Histogram Viewer" that shows both the histogram and the image statistics, so it's very handy for a quick look-see like this -- you don't even have to have PS on your computer to quickly evaluate images.

My first guess is that it's some sort of color space conversion/assignment/export error, but I'm still wrapped up in other tasks and don't have time at the moment to look at this problem in detail.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom and Tom,
I calibrated this monitor yesterday afternoon. I won't debate the issue but if I have a problem I need to know it.
MrT, do me a favor and mark these files up indicating where this big difference is and show the histogram on your markup. I do have a different monitor from the one I had been using. It died and substituted one I had (not a very good one I might add) . Thanks fellas.

Edit: Looking at these in different light, I can see that the first one, the PS file, it appears that the black is not as black as the one from Ai.

Could this be part of the problem?
CMYK “Black”

There are many different possible ink combinations of “black” – the most common “rich black” contains percentages of all 4 inks: 75C, 68M, 67Y 90K which is the default in Photoshop. You should take note that the default black in Illustrator & InDesign is NOT rich black but rather plain black (K=100). You may use rich black for large black areas however doNOTuse rich black for smaller text; registration problems can occur. Another neat tip is if your text is large enough that you want to use rich black, but is just small enough that registration may pose a threat, outline your text with .5 or 1 pt of k=100. For more CMYK black tips visit: Rich Black VS Plain Black.

Last edited:
Don't forget, Larry, that as we discussed a year or two ago, some monitors, simply can not be brought into good calibration. Assuming one has a good, trustworthy hardware calibrator and calibration software, going through the process of calibrating a monitor will always improve it, at least to some degree, but the process may only yield a slight improvement. This is what is meant when people say that a monitor "can't be brought into calibration", and is why people pay the big $$$ for good monitors.

With a low end calibration system (ie, one that doesn't give you a full readout of the final delta-E values, all three channels, throughout the tonal range in each), you'll never know just how good the final result actually is.

Also, w.r.t. your question about where the discrepancies are located, they are completely throughout the image -- every where that it's darker than a mid-gray.

T

Larry: I just saw the material you added to your post.

Yes, there certainly could be a problem in the area of which cmyk profile(s) are being used, ie, a maximum black generation profile vs a more normal profile. There could also be a problem with other types of color space mismatchs as I suggested in my previous post. I can't tell until I get done doing things like making the basement doesn't flood from the snow melt, LOL.

All the best,

Tom

Don't forget, Larry, that as we discussed a year or two ago, some monitors, simply can not be brought into good calibration. Assuming one has a good, trustworthy hardware calibrator and calibration software, going through the process of calibrating a monitor will always improve it, at least to some degree, but the process may only yield a slight improvement. This is what is meant when people say that a monitor "can't be brought into calibration", and is why people pay the big $$$ for good monitors.

With a low end calibration system (ie, one that doesn't give you a full readout of the final delta-E values, all three channels, throughout the tonal range in each), you'll never know just how good the final result actually is.

Also, w.r.t. your question about where the discrepancies are located, they are completely throughout the image -- every where that it's darker than a mid-gray.

T

Yes, Tom. Unfortunately financial challenges do not allow for purchase of a $1500.00 NEC monitor (as much as I would love one). I am going to try and upgrade from this one anyway. The work I do is not that color critical so it's not high on my priority list like things like food, drugs, gasoline etc.

Yes, Tom. Unfortunately financial challenges do not allow for purchase of a $1500.00 NEC monitor (as much as I would love one). I am going to try and upgrade from this one anyway. The work I do is not that color critical so it's not high on my priority list like things like food, drugs, gasoline etc.
I understand completely!!! So that's a situation where you have to rely on the numbers. At least they won't lie to you, even if your monitor is acting up, LOL.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Here ya go Larry.....not sure if this is exactly what you wanted but the histogram does show the distinct lack of the darker colours in one of the images.....both the OP's and yours.

OP #1...

OP_01.png

OP #2...

OP_02.png

ALB68 #1....

ALB68_01.png

ALB68 #2....

ALB68_02.png

Regards.
MrTom.

Tell me what you see now. I changed my CMYK working space to the same as the document. Then, the Proof Setup to just the black plate. When I switch to the black plate, I can see a very visible shift to darker. Here is a screenshot of that.

This leads me to believe that the OP has some kind of a mis-match of color space etc from Ai to PS.
New

Attachments

• PS black plate.PNG
    PS black plate.PNG
    76.2 KB · Views: 15
  • AI SS.PNG
    AI SS.PNG
    56.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Back