What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellow Square as Cursor in Photoshop

HLDickson

Hi there, I've been working in Photoshop since 2004 and I've never seen a problem like this before. I use a Mac, now upgraded to Mavericks, with Photoshop CS3. (Yes, I know but I like CS3!) and a Wacom Intuos 3. I have 24 G of ram. Recently, when retouching in Photoshop, a small yellow square appears over the curser. It moves like/with the curser but of course, you can't retouch because you can't see what you're doing. It only affects Photoshop because if you move to Safari, email, anything else, it reverts to a curser. You have to reboot Photoshop to clear it. I really don't want to upgrade to CS6 or the CC because of the loss of picture package and the wacky crop tool, but if I have to, I will. Any thoughts? Has anyone had a similar experience? - Thanks, Heather

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In CS6, you can use the classic mode on the Crop Tool.....

Screen Shot 2015-03-18 at 12.02.52 PM.png

EDIT: My sanity has been called into question! :rofl: IN CS6, they changed the crop tool and how it functions. For some hardcore Ps users, this was a deal breaker. I assumed that the OP is referring to this change and I wanted to remind her that you can still use the Crop Tool in the classic mode. So that's one less issue to worry about if that was one that was causing her hesitation in upgrading.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Heather, as for the yellow square around your cursor, I'm still searching.

Have you tried resetting your Ps preferences or the tool?

This is how to reset your preferences in Photoshop: Press-and-hold Command-Option-Shift on a Mac or Ctrl-Alt-Shift on a PC, while you start Photoshop. As you start the program you will get a pop-up dialog asking you if you would like to delete the settings file. Deleting the file will create a new set of preferences from scratch.

T reset a tool.
Go to the TOOL PRESET PICKER located in the top left had corner of the TOOL OPTIONs BAR.
Click on the down arrow and a window will open.
On the top right hand side of that widow will be a gear icon…click on this and choose RESET TOOL.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
It's a long shot...... but a designer and mac user friend encountered this some time back. He solved or thinks he solved the problem by allotting more RAM usage to Photoshop. It never occurred again.

If resetting preference or tool doesn't work, try increasing RAM usage.... nothing to lose.

HLDickson

I'll try both of those things. I just upgraded to 24G but perhaps I have to 'allocate' it to Photoshop. I'll also try to adjust the tool preset. I'll keep you posted...

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Heather, as for the yellow square around your cursor, I'm still searching.

Have you tried resetting your Ps preferences or the tool?

This is how to reset your preferences in Photoshop: Press-and-hold Command-Option-Shift on a Mac or Ctrl-Alt-Shift on a PC, while you start Photoshop. As you start the program you will get a pop-up dialog asking you if you would like to delete the settings file. Deleting the file will create a new set of preferences from scratch.

T reset a tool.
Go to the TOOL PRESET PICKER located in the top left had corner of the TOOL OPTIONs BAR.
Click on the down arrow and a window will open.
On the top right hand side of that widow will be a gear icon…click on this and choose RESET TOOL.

You also just Right click on the referenced preset picker..

fargon

Hi there, I've been working in Photoshop since 2004 and I've never seen a problem like this before. I use a Mac, now upgraded to Mavericks, with Photoshop CS3. (Yes, I know but I like CS3!) and a Wacom Intuos 3. I have 24 G of ram. Recently, when retouching in Photoshop, a small yellow square appears over the curser. It moves like/with the curser but of course, you can't retouch because you can't see what you're doing. It only affects Photoshop because if you move to Safari, email, anything else, it reverts to a curser. You have to reboot Photoshop to clear it. I really don't want to upgrade to CS6 or the CC because of the loss of picture package and the wacky crop tool, but if I have to, I will. Any thoughts? Has anyone had a similar experience? - Thanks, Heather

Hi, just wondered if you managed to fix this problem? I've just started getting exactly the same problem (cursor becomes a yellow square) and it's driving me crazy. Same set-up - Mavericks, CS3 and Wacom tablet. I get the problem even with tablet disconnected. I've tried changing storage/cache settings etc in PS Preferences, but issue persists & I'm losing lots of changes if it crashes before I can save the image.

Any advice greatly received,
Thanks