What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

there are strange problem in performance and operation of "Layer Via cut "

photo photo

hello. you see the image below:
Balloon_free_image.jpg

and I use "Lasso tool" for the part of the above image and I click right-click and then I click " Layer Via cut" and finally, I save image with "save for web" in file menu and then "PNG 24" and I see the image in windows photo viewer as follows:
bbbb.png
but when I open the above image with software such as "Focus Magic" I see the part of the defunct again!!!!! I do not want this event. I want the part of the defunct
unrecoverable forever.
balloon.png
thank you.

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I downloaded Focus Magic. I opened your balloon image. I added a layer other than the background (habit more or less) then I selected all the blue in the image witth the Magic Wand. I inverted the selection. I entered Ctrl J to make a layer from the selection. I flattened the image and saved as a PNG. Then I ran the Focus Magic filter and this is how it displayed.
focusmagic.PNG
I think that Layer by Cut is not the best way to make new layers from selections.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Larry, did you try and open his second image (the one he made 'via layer cut') in focus magic to see if you had the same result?

Layer via copy - Copies the selected area from a source image to a new layer. (I agree with Larry that this is the best way to make selections into new layers)

Layer via cut - Cuts out the selected area from the source image to a new layer, thus leaving a destructive hole in the source image.

Neither of these processes should leave behind remnants as shown by the OP's last example.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I just gave this a go too and the problem appears to stem from saving the image to use in 'Focus Magic'.

I tried both methods described and how the balloon is isolated doesn't matter.

When the image is saved though, Larry first 'Flattened' his layers while I assume the OP didn't.
Flattening removes the transparency and fills with white, and this works in the other software.

Out of curiosity, I selected the new 'white' background from flattening and deleted it, saved as PNG-24 and tried that too.......this also worked!

It also replaces the transparency with white so there is no advantage to this method, the transparency is lost one way or another and results in a white background regardless.

So, Larry's solution of 'Flattening' first seems to do the trick.

Nice one Larry! :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
".....I tried both methods described and how the balloon is isolated doesn't matter...."
My point exactly.

MrT, you were able to produce the effect from the last image in the OP's post?

ALB68

Larry, did you try and open his second image (the one he made 'via layer cut') in focus magic to see if you had the same result?

Layer via copy - Copies the selected area from a source image to a new layer. (I agree with Larry that this is the best way to make selections into new layers)

Layer via cut - Cuts out the selected area from the source image to a new layer, thus leaving a destructive hole in the source image.

Neither of these processes should leave behind remnants as shown by the OP's last example.

I couldn't duplicate the results using my masking technique. Not sure of his exact workflow.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I thought that this was his workflow.
Photo Photo said:
...I use "Lasso tool" for the part of the above image and I click right-click and then I click " Layer Via cut" and finally, I save image with "save for web" in file menu and then "PNG 24"....

MrToM

Guru
...MrT, you were able to produce the effect from the last image in the OP's post?...

I did yes, although I did the same as Larry and used the 'Magic Wand' to select the sky, inverted the selection and duplicated with Ctrl + J....then turned off the original layer and flattened it.

This resulted in a 'rectangular' sky, not a 'patchy' block sky as the OP's but I guess thats down to them using the 'Lasso' tool?

Whatever, the result was the same, sky appeared in the other software, only after 'Flattening' the original before saving did it then work correctly......but without any transparency.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

I thought that this was his workflow.

That may be Sam but don't know any other steps he may be taking. When you "save for web" your left with the original on the screen and not the png created by that process. Is he re-loading it or what? Just saying we may not have the whole story.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I did yes, although I did the same as Larry and used the 'Magic Wand' to select the sky, inverted the selection and duplicated with Ctrl + J....then turned off the original layer and flattened it.

This resulted in a 'rectangular' sky, not a 'patchy' block sky as the OP's but I guess thats down to them using the 'Lasso' tool?

Whatever, the result was the same, sky appeared in the other software, only after 'Flattening' the original before saving did it then work correctly......but without any transparency.

Regards.
MrTom.

GREAT!! This is the part I wasn't sure about. Thanks for clearing that up.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That may be Sam but don't know any other steps he may be taking. When you "save for web" your left with the original on the screen and not the png created by that process. Is he re-loading it or what? Just saying we may not have the whole story.
Gotcha......

MrToM

Guru
GREAT!! This is the part I wasn't sure about. Thanks for clearing that up.

Slight error.....I didn't 'flatten' the image to get the same result as the Op....ignore that bit....but I did turn off the original layer so just the balloon was visible on a transparent background.

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
This is the result in 'Focus Magic' when NOT flattened...

Win7V-2015-03-31-[2].png

This was using 'Lasso' tool....slightly tighter crop but still rectangular....not like the OP's.

Win7V-2015-03-31-[3].png

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I find this phenomenon interesting...................why do you think it happens?

ALB68

Layer by Cut simply puts the whole selection on the clipboard.

MrToM

Guru
I find this phenomenon interesting...................why do you think it happens?
I think its to do with PNG saving the 'Alpha' channel for the transparency.

That 'other' software must have a problem with the fourth channel and just ignores it.

Flattening the image first would remove that channel altogether, or rather it would be all one solid white colour.....something the 'other' software can handle.

I dunno why the OP's is 'blocky' like that....may their 'transparency' wasn't quite 100%...???

Straws....clutching...at.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Now here IS a weird thing...

I completely replaced the background with yellow instead of sky...

Balloon_free_image_yellow.png

...and yet the sky STILL appears in that software. (As in my second image above)

Very strange.....where does it get the sky from?

Is it still in the image although its now yellow?

I need a drink.

A large one.

Or maybe two.

NURSE!

Regards.
MrTom.

EDIT:

I just tried leaving the background layer turned on but at an opacity of only 1%...so its unnoticeable to the naked eye...didn't flatten, but saved as PNG-24.

Balloon_free_image_1pc.png

Same result as before but this time the whole of the sky is visible...

Win7V-2015-03-31-[4].png

I can only guess that the OP didn't have a completely transparent background and that the 'blocks' are more than 0% opacity when saved.

Last edited:

ALB68

Now here IS a weird thing...

I completely replaced the background with yellow instead of sky...

View attachment 54423

...and yet the sky STILL appears in that software. (As in my second image above)

Very strange.....where does it get the sky from?

Is it still in the image although its now yellow?

I need a drink.

A large one.

Or maybe two.

NURSE!

Regards.
MrTom.

EDIT:

I just tried leaving the background layer turned on but at an opacity of only 1%...so its unnoticeable to the naked eye...didn't flatten, but saved as PNG-24.

View attachment 54424

Same result as before but this time the whole of the sky is visible...

View attachment 54425

I can only guess that the OP didn't have a completely transparent background and that the 'blocks' are more than 0% opacity when saved.

Like I said..you don't know his whole workflow. Also, don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the whole thing is held on the clipboard with the CUT function I think.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Nothing is stored in the clipboard for me when using either cut or copy.....the pixels are moved / duplicated directly to their own layer.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited: