What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help with .NEF plugin - CS5

Jihef Photo

Hey guys. i'm having a bit of a problem. I know that in the past I have been able to open .NEF on my computer through Photoshop.
Now this week and friend shot some pics with his Nikon and gave me the .NEF for me to work on them. Now my Photoshop tells me that those files can't be open.
I went on Google and looked for some info and one website (Adobe) state that I might just need the plugin to be able to open them. I actually downloaded the plugin and installed it with succes. And still nothing.
It won't let me open them. What else can I do? Thanks in advance.

Tom Mann

Guru
The usual reason for this is that your version of ACR (ie, Adobe's raw (NEF) converter) pre-dated the camera which generated the file you tried to read. If this is indeed your problem, depending on what products you have purchased from Adobe, you might be elegible for a newer version of ACR that supports that camera. This is obviously the best solution. You will have to check with Adobe to see what you qualify for.

If you do not qualify for an updated version, then, you can download Adobe's free DNG converter. This is a little utililty program that will translate even the most moderen NEF files into a generic raw format called, "DNG". This can then be read by almost any version of ACR in the past 5 (?) years.

My suspicion is that this is what you download, but you never gave us the name of the program you attempted to use. Let us know and well try to walk you through it.

Cheers,

Tom M

Jihef Photo

If you do not qualify for an updated version, then, you can download Adobe's free DNG converter. This is a little utililty program that will translate even the most moderen NEF files into a generic raw format called, "DNG". This can then be read by almost any version of ACR in the past 5 (?) years.

Ah right we had that in school I remember. I think I use to have that also and that's why my NEF worked. Thanks so much