What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bridge is burning

eklojoe

1st, please forgive my typing which I'll be doing one-handed for the next month or so.

I'm running Windows 8.1, Photoshop CC (2014) and Bridge CC. I also use Faststone Image Viewer which I've used for 5 or 6 yrs.

My problem, which just started, is that when I click on a file in bridge, it opens the same file in FS Image Viewer. The reason it's a problem is that I use a lot of PSD files. I do a lot of cut and paste for the pictures I make. All the images I cut are saved in a folder so I can use that same image again without having to cut it out again e.g. cars, buildings, bottles, etc.. The image and the background are two separate layers, but when it comes up in FS, both the image and the bkgrd are in the same layer, so I wind up having to cut it out again.

I realize that I can open each cutout in Photoshop, but that would mean switching folders a lot. I'm hoping one of you that know much more about Adobe than I do, and can help me out.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueInGreen

Can you show us some screenshots of what you mean? Are you viewing a .psd with Faststone? Does Faststone support layers?

eklojoe

Well, this won't let me upload PSD files, but I'll try to explain what I mean. I don't know if you can see the images I uploaded, but this file has 5 layers; the engine, the flames, the rigging, the ship, etc.. If I open this file in Bridge, all the layers will be separate. So, if I wanted to use a different engine, I would only have to deal with that one layer. But, what is happening is that when I click on this file in Bridge, now it opens the file in Faststone. It's still a PSD file, but all the layers are flattened into one.

I'm trying to find out why I can't open this file in Bridge. If I click on Bridge, the file should open in Bridge and not Faststone. Faststone does not support layers. Throughly confused yet? I don't know how else to explain it to you.

Attachments

• constellation.jpg
    constellation.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 3

Tom Mann

Guru
Good catch, Paul. When I first read his posts in its original form, I didn't catch the part where he said, "...is that when I click on a file in bridge,...". After I re-formatted his two posts, I never bothered to re-read them for content, LOL.

Thanks loads,

Tom M

Last edited:

eklojoe

hey, tom, thanks for the typing lessons.

paul, thank you, you solved my problem.

blue, thanks for responding.

Tom Mann

Guru
eklojoe - WRT me reformatting what you typed, I felt sorry for you and whatever situation took away the use of your other arm, and realized that your post would be read and responded to more quickly if it wasn't one solid, large block of un-formatted, un-capitalized text. I was just trying to help you out by re-formatting it.

Tom M