What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masking problem

Bruce

I'm having a really weird Photoshop problem, wondering if anyone has experienced this and can tell me what's going on.
Masking is not completely masking. When I go to the layer mask (not vector) and paint with a black brush, the pixels are not entirely going away. In other words, it looks like it is reducing opacity to about 10%, rather than masking completely.
Brush is at 100% opacity, hard edge, set to "normal" blend, the layer I'm working on is also set to normal blend with opacity and flow at 100%. Airbrush is off. Under the brush palette, nothing is checked, although I see that "smoothing" is grayed out.
The only way I can completely get rid of the ghost pixels is by using the erase tool.
In short.... things are behaving as if my brush is set to maybe 90% opacity.
In addition... I usually place a 50% gray layer beneath the layer I'm masking, helps me to see edges clearly. When I work on the mask, anyplace I use the black brush also creates a shadow on the gray layer below.
If I drag he masked image onto another picture, this slight shadow goes with it. If I first delete the gray layer, that doesn't happen.
Using CS5, have been on it for years, can't think of anything that changed to cause this.
Anyone?

Bruce

Good thought, using default foreground color as far as I know, so that should be a yes.
I'm going to reload the default foreground background just to be certain.
Also, mask opacity IS at 100%

Bruce

PS... reloaded foreground/background and it looks like that may have been it. Heading out now so will check more closely later, but seems like you nailed it.
Thanks!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great. It's happened to me before. It's usually the painting blend mode or a 'not so black' foreground color.