What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS5 Error on one computer

zuhairishak

I have a group of four people who just received new computers. We ordered brand new parts and built the computers. They have high end CPUs, graphics cards, and each has at least 8GB of ram. They are using

Windows XP x64.

These users use Photoshop CS5 and frequently share files between them. One of them is having trouble opening a few specific files. These files are .tif files, and are around 100MB in size. These particular files originated on a DVD. Everyone has no problem opening these files in photoshop except for this one person. We have:

- Copied files to the user's desktop and tried to open them there
- Tried to copy/open the files from a flash drive and a network location and tried to open the copies
- Tried renaming the files
- Tried giving the files a different extension
- Had another user (who CAN open them) copy the files, place them on the network, and have the problem user download and attempt to open the files from there.

The error that comes up in CS5 when the file is opened:
"Could not complete your request because the file has been damaged by a disk error"

I am able to view the files on this computer by opening them in IrfanView or Gimp, and can even save a copy from those programs and then open the copy in Photoshop, but the copy is missing information from the file (user says layers are missing) and the file size of the copy is much smaller. It's a workaround for the time being, but not a long term solution.

I am contemplating uninstalling/reinstalling photoshop, but am not sure this will be helpful. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance!

gedstar

Guru
I don't have an answer to your question but you say they received new computers, why would you install Windows XP on them when it's not even supported by Microsoft any longer?

Have you tried resetting the preferences

Hold down Alt, Ctrl, and Shift keys while starting up Photoshop. A dialog box will appear asking if you wish to delete the preferences/settings file

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Thanks Sam

It was the mention of Windows XP had me thinking there's something not quite right here.

adelarstarck

# Open the "Window" menu and choose "History" to display the History panel. Locate the "Flatten Image" step in the list of history states.

# Click on the history state just before "Flatten Image" in the History panel. Undoing the flattening process brings back your layered composition...

# Press "F7" or open the "Window" menu and choose "Layers" to open the Layers panel by pressing "F7" or choosing "Layers" from the "Window" menu. Verify that your document contains the layers you expect. If necessary, step back farther in the file's history to reach the point at which you want to reclaim your document.

# Open the "File" menu and choose "Save As." Change the name of your document and save the file.

Moreover if guide above wasn't effective, then you may use software for corrupted .psd files http://www.psd.openfiletool.com/ PSD Open File Tool

Last edited by a moderator:

samuelbergius

Alternative solution:

>Open "My Computer" from your desktop. Double-click your hard drive.

>Open "Documents and Settings."

>Open the folder labeled with your user name.

>Open "Local Settings" followed by "Temp."

>Scroll down to the files beginning with "Photoshop" ("PS" for older Photoshop CS builds). This will be followed by a series of letters and numbers.

>Double-click each "Photoshop" ("PS") temp file to open them in Photoshop CS. This is the only way to identify which temp file contains the project you wish to recover. Luckily, because when Photoshop shuts properly it deletes its temp files, there should be no more than three or four.

>Select "Save As" from the "File" menu when you find the temp file you want. This will make the file permanent.

> Ultimate solution might become http://www.psd.openfiletool.com/ PSD Open File Tool