What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change Default Save Location

Akira Niburu

Hello, I'm new here and I've been having an issue recently. Whenever I try to use the Save As command the mini window starts from the Temp folder. Every time. Most of my work ends up going to the same set of folders, but no matter how many times I repeat the process (whether on new work or old) I always have to navigate all the way through the computer to get to where I want the file. This is a problem because I typically deal with anywhere from two to five items per session, and every single one has to be directed to the proper location. Is there anyway to change the starting location of the Save As window to the root location of the main folders I use? I'm running CS5 Extended. Please be clear and precise, I'm still new to Photoshop.

gedstar

Guru
You could check this option to make sure it's enabled

View attachment 55804

You could also try resetting PS preferences

To re-create the preferences files for Photoshop, start the application while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Akira Niburu

Most of what I work on starts as a New File and therefore has no Original Folder. I would really rather try all other options before hitting a reset of any kind, I only just got everything the way I want it (with a few exceptions).

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I think Photoshop always opens the 'save as' location with new documents on the desktop. The destination folder does have a drop down menu to help navigate to recent places.

MrToM

Guru
For me the location is 'sticky'...that is to say that if I use Save As... it will open the 'Save As...' window at the location of my last successful 'Save', or 'Save As...' operation.

So, if the last time I saved anything was to the 'desktop' then any future 'Save As' for new documents will use the 'Desktop' as the starting point.

If this isn't happening for you then do as gedstar has already suggested and check the 'Save As...' option in the preferences.

You haven't said if you have tried this but if that doesn't work then I'm not sure what else to try.

Regards.
MrToM.

Akira Niburu

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I think Photoshop always opens the 'save as' location with new documents on the desktop. The destination folder does have a drop down menu to help navigate to recent places.

Mine saves automatically to Temp. This is what I'm trying to work around.

For me the location is 'sticky'...that is to say that if I use Save As... it will open the 'Save As...' window at the location of my last successful 'Save', or 'Save As...' operation.

So, if the last time I saved anything was to the 'desktop' then any future 'Save As' for new documents will use the 'Desktop' as the starting point.

If this isn't happening for you then do as @gedstar has already suggested and check the 'Save As...' option in the preferences.

You haven't said if you have tried this but if that doesn't work then I'm not sure what else to try.

Regards.
MrToM.

Do you know how you did this? My preferences are already set up the way gedstar demonstrated and the issue persists.