What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All plugins not showing, list is just cut off

Markley

I have a lot of plugins that I've been using with PaintShop Pro, and instead of installing them all over again, I direct Photoshop to also use the PSP plugin directory. This works fine except that Photoshop seems to have a maximum number of plugins that it will list. It gets cut off after the Gs, and I can't seem to get other plugins above that to show. How I sometimes get around it is to point to the subdirectory of the specific filter I want to use, then I don't run into the "too many to list" issue. But that is a real pain to keep doing repeatedly. It's not an issue of the plugins not working with PS, or 32-bit in 64-bit PS, they pretty much all work once I point to the subdirectory.

Is there a way around this problem? I'm currently using PS CS6, but this has been an issue with all Photoshop versions I've ever had. I'm not sure if I did reinstall them all into the PS plugin directory if they'd all list either, I rather doubt it would make any difference.

Thanks for any help with this.

(I'm not sure if I should have posted this question in the Plugins forums or Troubleshooting, feel free to move it if it should be in the Plugins section.)

Steve

Retired Administrator
I'm not sure if PS 32 + 64 share the same preferences file or not and be aware that not all filters are 64bit compatible.
With that said try resetting your preferences file.
It cures a lot of strange behavior in PS.

Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

If that doesn't work try installing them specifically for Photoshop ignoring the PSP directory

Markley

I've tried swapping out which plugins are in the directory, and it doesn't seem to be an issue of it getting stuck on one. When I delete some around where it gets stuck, it continues and adds in the others, but still cutting off the list. I counted them and it only shows 86 plugins for the extras. There are some plugins I installed specifically to Photoshop and those aren't part of that 86, they're separated from the PSP list of plugins. No matter how I juggle which ones are in the directory or out, it's still always showing only 86 total, never any more than that.

I did reset all preferences as suggested and that didn't help either. Reinstalling all of those plugins to see if I can get past 86 will take forever, especially since some are older and I'll have to hunt down my old disks for those that aren't just a copy/paste of the file into the directory. It's something I always dread doing when I set up a new computer or change my graphics program, but I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and try it if I want to use the plugins within PS. That limit just seems odd though.

Edit: This morning I tried just copying over the plugin directory into the PS Plug-Ins directory first, since many of them do not need to be installed just to see how the list would go. And the same exact thing happens, only 86 plugins show stopping at the same plugin as before. So it seems I'll have to whittle down what I might ever use with PS to just 86 no matter which way I do it. It still seems like a really odd limitation though.

Last edited: