What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to increase the sensitivity of magic wand tool? Help Needed

Rexerse

Maybe this isn't the right question to be asking but hopefully once I explain the situation what I'm trying to fix will make more sense (I also apologize if this is being posted incorrectly, this is my first time):

I have a web-comic that I do just as a personal project for fun. I have specific color pallets that I use on the characters every page. To make things really simple, for the characters that have a lot of different shades of gray on them or other dark colors, I made sure when I made the color pallet that the colors were different enough for the wand tool to recognize them as different colors (so when I select the character's dark gray pants, it doesn't also select his black belt).

Randomly one day, maybe last week, my phoshop (I've been using cs5) decided to reset itself I guess? My custom hot keys were still there but all my little settings, like for example, having the fill tool set to foreground color rather than content-aware (or whatever the default factory setting was), were all set back to the factory default.

That's when I noticed that it suddenly had a hard time differentiating colors when I used the magic wand to select them. This included colors I know previously worked because I used them on past pages of the comic with no issue.
To give you an example of how bad it is, it can't even tell the difference between this green and black:
7abb46ac391d5da64abb2da6d6b35ce9.png

When I select the green part, it selects the black as well (and vise versa).

I have no idea why my photoshop reset itself. It gave me no warning and I didn't even notice until I realized a lot of my little settings were changed. I can fix all of those, but this inability to recognize blatantly different colors is making things really difficult. I don't want to change the color pallets that I've been using for 10+ pages already so if anyone knows how this could be fixed, I'd be really grateful.

revnart

Power User
Select wand tool (W) and adjust tolerance. Higher tolerance will select more different tones and so on, set it to 0 and it will select only - "only!" color you choose. test and adjust to situation :)
Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 10.14.25.png

Rexerse

Thank you SO much! I knew it had to be something incredibly simple like that! It's working again!
Still a little bugged that I don't know what reset all my settings, but at least the most annoying thing is fixed now.

Thanks again!