What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there anyway of retrieving unsaved Photoshop work?

mennonepelle

I foolishly did not save some stock photos I was using for a project only copy+pasted them, and in the process of updating growl, and an apple update for Quicktime Photoshop stopped responding. It didn't say the application was not responding but every time I clicked on a window for Photoshop it just made the unhappy you can't do this sound.

I'm on Tiger still with a 12in powerbook. It is Photoshop 9 on CS2. I think I know the answer to my problem but I am hoping there is some surgical way of opening something up to get to it. Thanks!

By the way, please tell me CS3 has a recovery program contingency plan like Microsoft Word has for the mac. Its criminal that Adobe NOR Pages has that, nor an autosave feature. (Sorry for mentioning non-design/graphic stuff, but I had to vent.

MrToM

Guru
Vent away!

Its understandable, we all have to do it when using, (in the loosest term), Photoshop.

You'll have another chance to vent now too as yes, you are correct, you already know the answer.....no.

Auto saving wasn't introduced till much later on in CS6 but don't get too excited....it only saves a 'recovery' version and even then only in the event that PS crashed.....not hangs.

I've developed my own 'Panel' which includes 'real' auto saving, with overwrite or incremental saving but the panel as a whole isn't finished and it only works for CC 2014+.....so just CC 2014 in reality....not much help to ya I'm afraid.

If it happens again though it has been know that the 'IMAGE' menu will still be operable during a 'hang' or 'crash' which means you can use the 'Duplicate' option to create a duplicate of the document......you should then, although I've never had to try this, be able to 'Save' that duplicate regardless of the original having, shall we say, issues.

At least then you get some chance of saving something...

...and next time, don't update with important documents open.

Regards.
MrToM.