What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop freezes when I try to render video

JeremyC

I've made a nice image animations(image size: 512px * 512px, 30 frames total). Everytime I click the 'Render Video' button under File > Export, the loading cursor appears and.... that's it. I look into task manager, the cpu usage of photoshop is about 30%, ram usage and disk activity stay at 0%... It seems like Photoshop has stuck in a loop or something.

I delete all the animation frames and made a new animation frame(2 in total). I clicked 'Render Video', After few seconds, the loading cursor disappeared and a dialog with a progress bar popped out. The progress went until about 70% and it disappeared and Photoshop went into "freeze mode". It didn't have any dialog or loading cursor and it didn't response to my mouse clicks >_> The task manager shows that Photoshop was still running.

Please help me as soon as possible! I really want to export the animations. Sorry for my bad english.

Specs:
Photoshop CC 2015
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
Intel i5 processor, 2 cores, 4 logical processor, max 2.9 ghz
nVidia GeForce 520m/Intel HD graphics 3000

Steve

Retired Administrator
Make sure your video driver is up to date.

Turn off Edit|Preferences|Performance|Use Graphics Processor
That wording may be different depenting on the versiom you're running.

Try resetting the preferences file.
It cures a lot of strange behavior in PS.

Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

MrToM

Guru
I think you have a framed animation rather than a video clip.

If this is the case then do not use 'render'.....just save it as a animated 'gif' file using 'Save For Web...'

Trying to render a 'framed' animation would result in PS freezing as you would not actually have any 'video' content in the 'timeline' to render.....only 'frames'.

Certain things in your post lead me to believe this is the case.

Regards.
MrToM.

JeremyC

Make sure your video driver is up to date.

Turn off Edit|Preferences|Performance|Use Graphics Processor
That wording may be different depenting on the versiom you're running.

Try resetting the preferences file.
It cures a lot of strange behavior in PS.

Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"
None of these options work :\

JeremyC

I think you have a framed animation rather than a video clip.

If this is the case then do not use 'render'.....just save it as a animated 'gif' file using 'Save For Web...'

Trying to render a 'framed' animation would result in PS freezing as you would not actually have any 'video' content in the 'timeline' to render.....only 'frames'.

Certain things in your post lead me to believe this is the case.

Regards.
MrToM.

Hi, yea I have framed animations.
I'd like to export all the frames as image sequences(png). Google told me that I should use 'Render Video'..

MrToM

Guru
Nooooooooo, sorry, that's not going to happen I'm afraid.

PS handles animation in two completely different ways......video and framed animation.....but they share the same 'timeline' window.

If you have actual 'video' clips then sure....you can edit them and 'render' the edit out in a 'video' format....like mp4.

If you have 'frames' then your only option is to use 'Save For Web...' via FILE > Save For Web... and as an animated 'GIF' format image.

You can, if you absolutely have to, produce an animated 'PNG' but its a little more involved than 'GIF' and is not an included file format in PS.....you need third party software to do it although you can use PS to produce the required files first.

I can go through that with you if needs be or if 'GIF' is good enough but you're having problems with it then just post your questions here.

Regards.
MrToM.

JeremyC

Nooooooooo, sorry, that's not going to happen I'm afraid.

PS handles animation in two completely different ways......video and framed animation.....but they share the same 'timeline' window.

If you have actual 'video' clips then sure....you can edit them and 'render' the edit out in a 'video' format....like mp4.

If you have 'frames' then your only option is to use 'Save For Web...' via FILE > Save For Web... and as an animated 'GIF' format image.

You can, if you absolutely have to, produce an animated 'PNG' but its a little more involved than 'GIF' and is not an included file format in PS.....you need third party software to do it although you can use PS to produce the required files first.

I can go through that with you if needs be or if 'GIF' is good enough but you're having problems with it then just post your questions here.

Regards.
MrToM.
YI5WNOg.png
This is framed animation right?(I followed this tutorial) right? The 'Save For Web' has been marked with 'Legacy' tho.
If there is no way to do this, I guess I'll convert the GIF into PNGs with some tools :\

MrToM

Guru

awkner

Hey sorry for bringing up an old thread, was searching around Google and these forums because I'm having the exact same problem.

Also, would just like to point out that MrToM is mistaken here; I always used Render Video to do exactly what OP was trying to do; render the frames separately, each one in a separate image. I did that literally all the time to export animations for games.
Now I've upgraded Photoshop to CC (was using CS5 til this year), and Render Video simply won't work. If I try to open it Phoshop simply freezes.

gedstar

Guru
Hey sorry for bringing up an old thread, was searching around Google and these forums because I'm having the exact same problem.

Also, would just like to point out that MrToM is mistaken here; I always used Render Video to do exactly what OP was trying to do; render the frames separately, each one in a separate image. I did that literally all the time to export animations for games.
Now I've upgraded Photoshop to CC (was using CS5 til this year), and Render Video simply won't work. If I try to open it Phoshop simply freezes.

It would help if you posted your systems specs
OS Version
RAM Installed
GPU
Scratch Disk used
If you're on Windows check Eventvwr for application errors
You really need to provide more info

awkner

Sorry, I'm running Windows 10, 16gb RAM, GTX 950m, 700+gb scratch disk, Eventwr gives an AppHangB1 event type... From what I'm seeing, nobody on the internet managed to fix this. It~s ridiculous. I'm just thinking about downgrading at this point, since I really need that Render Video function to work.

gedstar

Guru
Can you post the eventvwr log for PS
If PS is crashing there will be a log for that event, source will be application and you need to look for "Faulting application path" copy and paste the info here

The log should look something like this

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 20/05/2016 20:49:39
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: GedsLaptop
Description:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d7ba
Faulting module name: ESENT.dll, version: 10.0.10586.212, time stamp: 0x56fa1686
Exception code: 0xc0000602
Fault offset: 0x000000000022885f
Faulting process ID: 0x544
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1b2cfcff38076
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: c:\windows\system32\ESENT.dll
Report ID: fbc02932-5dab-4740-ba2c-8e6367016c75
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

You can also downgrade to a previous version of PS and still have PSCC2015 installed
If you have PSCC2015 you can also have PSCC2014 and CS6 installed

More info here
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html

Last edited:

coute

Did you get this fixed?! I have the same problem. I can't use "Save For Web" because Photoshop saves my animated GIFs with this really UGLY white outline (due to GIF not being able to figure out partial transparency) and all of the "fixes" for that outline on the web just mess up my lines horrendously.

I need to export my animations into image sequences to get around this!

I don't want to downgrade because that's just a huge pain in the ass, isn't there any other way?

awkner

Sorry, no luck :(
I kinda had to downgrade really. Got a portable version of Photoshop CS6 and I'm using that one just to render the frames. It sucks, Adobe is incredible at messing up stuff that worked fine already. I'm 100% dependant of that function, too...
If you have any leads on how to fix it, please post it, maybe we can solve this together!

gedstar

Guru
Sorry, no luck :(
I kinda had to downgrade really. Got a portable version of Photoshop CS6 and I'm using that one just to render the frames. It sucks, Adobe is incredible at messing up stuff that worked fine already. I'm 100% dependant of that function, too...
If you have any leads on how to fix it, please post it, maybe we can solve this together!

FYI Adobe have never introduced a portable version of Photoshop CS6, so it's possible that you're using a cracked version of PS and leaving yourself vulnerable to viruses and malware

If you're a member of the creative cloud and I assume you are, you can downgrade to a previous version
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#topic-3

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

coute

FYI Adobe have never introduced a portable version of Photoshop CS6, so it's possible that you're using a cracked version of PS and leaving yourself vulnerable to viruses and malware

If you're a member of the creative cloud and I assume you are, you can downgrade to a previous version
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#topic-3

View attachment 65647

*sigh* Guess that's just what I have to do for now. If the computer-savvy people of the internet can't find a solution, I'd have no chance.
At least it looks like downgrading will be easier than I thought.

Anyway, thanks gedstar & awkner.

Last edited:

Tech Elect YouTube

I've made a nice image animations(image size: 512px * 512px, 30 frames total). Everytime I click the 'Render Video' button under File > Export, the loading cursor appears and.... that's it. I look into task manager, the cpu usage of photoshop is about 30%, ram usage and disk activity stay at 0%... It seems like Photoshop has stuck in a loop or something.

I delete all the animation frames and made a new animation frame(2 in total). I clicked 'Render Video', After few seconds, the loading cursor disappeared and a dialog with a progress bar popped out. The progress went until about 70% and it disappeared and Photoshop went into "freeze mode". It didn't have any dialog or loading cursor and it didn't response to my mouse clicks >_> The task manager shows that Photoshop was still running.

Please help me as soon as possible! I really want to export the animations. Sorry for my bad english.

Specs:
Photoshop CC 2015
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
Intel i5 processor, 2 cores, 4 logical processor, max 2.9 ghz
nVidia GeForce 520m/Intel HD graphics 3000

FIXED -

Save the PSD once you've completed your work
Open Adobe media encoder
Drag the PSD into Media encoder
Render
Done!

Hope this helps.