What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windows 10 upgrade -- Files in Explorer have "X"?

wolverine77

So after upgrading to Windows 10, and opening up Windows Explorer, there is this Grey "X" on top of all of my files.

What is that "X" and how can I get rid of them?

Thanks!

MrToM

Guru
DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

From a quick search it appears this has been happening for a while......some posts date back as far as 2009! (Win 8)

Various meanings have been put forward from 'Offline' files to files being 'Corrupt'.
The best solution I found, and which seems most logical to me, seems to be the following.....'best' meaning it worked for most people.

Reinitialize corrupt or incorrect netcache...

To resolve this problem, reinitialize the cache of offline files.
To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
  2. Locate the following registry subkey, and then right-click it: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC
  3. Point to New, and then click Key.
  4. Type Parameters in the box.
  5. Right-click Parameters, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit)Value.
  6. Type FormatDatabase, and then press ENTER.
  7. Right-click FormatDatabase, and then click Modify.
  8. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
  9. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

I've not tried it personally as I don't have the problem.

Just go careful in the registry.....back it up FIRST!
(I take no responsibility for the result of any registry editing done by you.)

Regards.
MrToM.

wolverine77

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

From a quick search it appears this has been happening for a while......some posts date back as far as 2009! (Win 8)

Various meanings have been put forward from 'Offline' files to files being 'Corrupt'.
The best solution I found, and which seems most logical to me, seems to be the following.....'best' meaning it worked for most people.

Reinitialize corrupt or incorrect netcache...

To resolve this problem, reinitialize the cache of offline files.
To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
  2. Locate the following registry subkey, and then right-click it: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC
  3. Point to New, and then click Key.
  4. Type Parameters in the box.
  5. Right-click Parameters, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit)Value.
  6. Type FormatDatabase, and then press ENTER.
  7. Right-click FormatDatabase, and then click Modify.
  8. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
  9. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

I've not tried it personally as I don't have the problem.

Just go careful in the registry.....back it up FIRST!
(I take no responsibility for the result of any registry editing done by you.)

Regards.
MrToM.

Thanks for the reply. Cannot find the folder "CSC" in the Registry.

Any other suggestions?

Also, does this actually affect my underlying files at all? Are they corrupted or this is just a simple error in the way they are being displayed in Windows?

Thanks!

MrToM

Guru
Check it again.....make sure you have the EXACT registry path.....there is more than 1 currentControlSet !!!

reg_CSC_MT_01.png

The above is from a virtually unused Win 10 install so the reg key should be there.

If you still cannot find it, and are willing to take the risk, I can export those keys in a .reg file for you to 'Merge' into your registry but you should have them already.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

MikeMc

McGuru
I am curious, I thought "Edge" (Spartan) was the new browser in 10, and Explorer was gone ??

MrToM

Guru
It is yes....but its not been released yet......its a forthcoming 'update' that you'll get from 'peer-to-peer' updates.....yeah right....thanks MS....nice one!

Makes you laugh doesn't it?

Regards.
MrToM.
MikeMc
EDIT:
Well that will teach me to stay up all night.....'Edge' is the new 'Internet' explorer....DOH!

Never used the old one but my 'Update' said it wasn't installed and I had the old IE icon in the taskbar....but yes, the Web Browser is called 'Edge'.......must be Irish.

When the OP refers to 'Explorer' they mean the File Browser....'Explorer'.....not the Internet browser....'Explorer'.

I think MS have made this quite clear....no? :rofl:

Last edited:

wolverine77

Check it again.....make sure you have the EXACT registry path.....there is more than 1 currentControlSet !!!

View attachment 57757

The above is from a virtually unused Win 10 install so the reg key should be there.

If you still cannot find it, and are willing to take the risk, I can export those keys in a .reg file for you to 'Merge' into your registry but you should have them already.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thanks Tom, I'll try to give it a shot.

Any thoughts on my last question, i.e. Is this simply a Windows display issue vs. The underlying files actually having any issues / corrupted?

Thanks again.

MrToM

Guru
Difficult to say....its MS so anything could happen really.

Do those files with the cross fall into any 'category' at all? Do they share any common factor like being offline files for instance?

Have you checked out the properties for those files....are they from another PC and need to be 'Unlocked'?

Can you open these files but just want to get rid of the icon?

If the files open OK then the earlier suggestion may just clear out the cache and remove the 'cross'.
If they don't open then you may need to do something else first before you can open them....OR....they will never open because they have become 'corrupt'.

I doubt very much that you do have 'corrupt' files.....MS would make darn sure this 'update' more than most wouldn't damage any files.....or at least thats what you'd hope they've done that.

I don't use Win10 and probably never will but I have it on a virtual machine for instances like this......my above screen shot is from that install and is pretty much clean so I'd expect you to have the same registry structure.

If you can get the above reg edit to work first then that should tell us what the state of play is......you never know...it may do the trick right off the bat! (It did for others).

Regards.
MrToM.

EDIT:
I just checked Win7 and the same registry folder structure is there too so its nothing new for Win10.
I can only assume you are looking in the wrong place for it.

Last edited:

wolverine77

Difficult to say....its MS so anything could happen really.

Do those files with the cross fall into any 'category' at all? Do they share any common factor like being offline files for instance?

Have you checked out the properties for those files....are they from another PC and need to be 'Unlocked'?

Can you open these files but just want to get rid of the icon?

If the files open OK then the earlier suggestion may just clear out the cache and remove the 'cross'.
If they don't open then you may need to do something else first before you can open them....OR....they will never open because they have become 'corrupt'.

I doubt very much that you do have 'corrupt' files.....MS would make darn sure this 'update' more than most wouldn't damage any files.....or at least thats what you'd hope they've done that.

I don't use Win10 and probably never will but I have it on a virtual machine for instances like this......my above screen shot is from that install and is pretty much clean so I'd expect you to have the same registry structure.

If you can get the above reg edit to work first then that should tell us what the state of play is......you never know...it may do the trick right off the bat! (It did for others).

Regards.
MrToM.

EDIT:
I just checked Win7 and the same registry folder structure is there too so its nothing new for Win10.
I can only assume you are looking in the wrong place for it.

OK will check it out and report back a bit later!

wolverine77

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. I've running 64bit win10,

Does that change any of the settings in the regedit?

UPDATE:

Oh well, can't seem to find that CSC folder for the life of me (I am a tech-idiot though so there is that).

If its just a matter of the file explorer displaying the X and the underlying files are fine (they all open) -- it's something I can live with I suppose...

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Very strange.

The screen shot I posted is from a 64bit system so...???

Do you want me to PM you a .reg file of that key?

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
For any body upgrading to Windows 10 I would recommend doing the following
https://fix10.isleaked.com/

MS is sending a lot of info home and some of the settings just don't make any sense, especially this "Wi-Fi Sense" what where they thinking or not thinking as the case may be!
Upgraded myself and all is working fine so far, just disable all the MS phone home stuff and your good to go
Actually like Windows 10 so far, it's supper fast on my system! :giggle:no issue with Photoshop so far apart from Photoshop issues, can't blame MS for that :shocked:

Just my 2 pence worth about Windows 10

Microsoft the Edge I wonder how Bono feels about that :rofl:

P.S. sorry none of this little rant helped the OP in anyway!

Last edited:

wolverine77

Very strange.

The screen shot I posted is from a 64bit system so...???

Do you want me to PM you a .reg file of that key?

Regards.
MrToM.

Sure that would be great. I don't have that CSC file... wonder if anything messed up would happen if I put that CSC file into my registry?

MrToM

Guru
...wonder if anything messed up would happen if I put that CSC file into my registry?
No.

I've sent you two reg keys, (One without the above EDIT, and one with).

Choose one of them.

Once you have merged the reg entries close the reg editor (if open) and reboot the PC.

If you check the registry again you should find that the above EDIT is now missing......and also, hopefully, those pesky grey crosses.

Remember to BACKUP your registry before making any edits.

I'd like to see some screen shots of your registry editor at the furthest point you can get to in that edit.....just to put my at rest that you are indeed looking in the right place.....its unusual not to have those entries as default.

Merging the reg entries I've sent you wont change anything if you have them already.....they are just copies.

Regards.
MrToM.