What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

photoshop error message (actions)

ChristiO

Has anyone had this message when trying to load an action in photoshop cs5 " could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"?
Thank you in advance

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Are you certain that the file is a .atn file?

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Without having the action to try its difficult to say for sure but my guess would be that the action was written on a later version of PS than CS5.

Regardless of what type of document is open, its probably fine, but if the action, for example, is trying to apply one of the newer CC blur filters that don't exist in CS5 then its going to throw an error.

'Not the right kind of document' could mean that the file needs to exist, ie, NOT applied to a 'New' document.....which until you save it doesn't exist except within PS.

Actions rarely work 100% on all versions unless especially simple.

Check the action was written for CS5.....and remember CS5 came in 4 flavours....CS5, CS5 Extended, CS5.1 and CS5.1 extended....make sure it really IS an action written for CS5, NOT CS5.1 and NOT an extended version.

Regards.
MrToM.

ChristiO

Thank you for the responses... I didn't realize that about actions MrToM... I have Photoshop CS5 extend... When I download the file it is a rar file and instead of a white square that says action it is white with a blue PS
I tried added a pic of it but it won"t load

MrToM

Guru
Well....it sounds as if you know what you're looking for...action files have an .atn file extension and an icon (in CS5) like this...

action_icon_MT_01.png

If the folder doesn't contain a file of that description then you don't have an action to load.....but....

...you only get that error when trying to load an action....you cannot load any other file type via the action panel, (unless you have changed the filter), so you must have been trying to load an .atn file but it fails when trying to apply it.

Is that the case?

Regards.
MrToM.

ChristiO

Yes I believe so.... My icon is like the one you loaded for most, but some have PS instead of saying actions
Thank you

MrToM

Guru
OK.....so you have .atn files....

...and you have loaded one of them into the Actions Panel....

..and then you try to run it...

...and thats when you get the error...

Am I guessing somewhere close?

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can only load an .atn file in Ps actions, anything else would cause an error message. What I have found is that non-compatible actions will load, they just wont work/run.

How about uploading/posting the action that your trying to load that is giving you the error message. That would help, thanks.