What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help - I can't open any of my old images with Adobe's new CC

lee33

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:57 pm Post subject: How to open jpg and png images in CCicon_quote.gif

I have used CS5 for years. I just recently set up a new computer and am now using Adobe's CC. When I tried to open old images from my other computer I could only open Photoshop images, not my jpg or png. I looked for something in Preferences that would allow this but didn't find anything. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks

Lee

Hoogle

Guru
What OS are you using, windows 7, 8 10, Apple Yosemite etc.

If you are using windows then you should be able to hold down the shift key and right click an image and select open with and then select photoshop but make sure you select current version of photoshop not the older 1

lee33

Thanks, Hoogle. Unfortunately, that doesn't help as I am using a Mac w/ El Capitan. Got any suggestions for this OS?

Steve

Retired Administrator
Try resetting your preferences file.
Hold down Shift+Ctrl+Alt (Win) / Shift+Command+Option (Mac) when you start up Photoshop to reset the preferences.

lee33

Thanks for the tip, Steve. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I'm getting a little concerned here that I have a few thousand images that I won't be able to open in CC.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Just a shot in the dark.....

I'm not on CC yet so I don't know what the installation procedure is like. But like in older versions, was there a step during installation where you can select/assign what images can be opened and viewed in CC? If there is, probably jpg's and png's weren't selected at the time....

Steve

Retired Administrator
Are you clicking on the Jpg's and getting an error message from Photoshop or does clicking on a Jpg just open it in another program?
Try a right click on the image and "Open With" Photoshop.

If they open in another program, and "Open With" works, just change your preferences in Windows.
If you're getting an error from Photoshop, what does it say?

lee33

Whew, I was sweating bullets here when nothing seemed to work. dv8, your suggestion of "right click, open with" worked. I have used that in the past (years ago) and didn't even think to try it. Must be age... lol

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the input. I tried another PS forum before this one and my question sat there for a week with no help. Glad I Googled again.

Lee

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
.... dv8, your suggestion of "right click, open with" worked.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the input. I tried another PS forum before this one and my question sat there for a week with no help. Glad I Googled again.

Lee

:cheesygrin: Not me..... That was Steve, our Senior Admin.......

lee33

Sorry, Steve, I didn't mean to give credit to the wrong person. I got so excited that I could open my images again that I didn't re-read the replies closely enough.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Sorry, Steve, I didn't mean to give credit to the wrong person. I got so excited that I could open my images again that I didn't re-read the replies closely enough.
I'm glad we figured it out.
Dv8_fx, AKA Vee, was basically saying the same thing I was saying.
That JPG's weren't listed as being opened with Photoshop.
That's why I asked if you got an error or if another program was opening them.

Anyway, welcome to PSG.