What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Type Tool cursor

Big Ed

No matter if I use vertical or horizontal, when I type a letter it increases the cursor. A character is not shown. What button or option did I inadvertently touch?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ed, what do you mean when you say, "I type a letter it increases the cursor."?

Are you able to take screen shots?

Big Ed

Here is a screen shot of the type tool going vertical but the line just gets bigger the more I type characters.Cursor gets larger, no character.jpg

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
No matter if I use vertical or horizontal, when I type a letter it increases the cursor. A character is not shown. What button or option did I inadvertently touch?

From what your saying, it looks like whatever character key you press increases the font size? That's not suppose to be. Was it only recently it happened? Try resetting your type tool or if that fails, reset the PS preference.

Big Ed

I've already Shift-Control-Alt before starting Photoshop. NADA. How do I otherwise reset the type tool?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For some reason the fill is blank. The Vertical Type tool is selected but the cursor is for Horizontal........

MrToM

Guru
I've looked at this VERY closely and I think its all OK!

If you look at the Vertical line in the screen shot its NOT the Cursor but the BASELINE of the editable text.....which would be vertical.

Check out that line closely and you'll see that there IS text along that line but so small that its just displayed as a very feint shade.

If we could see the 'Character' panel i bet the font size is extremely small.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
LOL...........you beat me this time! I just figured that out! Natasha is fired!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I've already Shift-Control-Alt before starting Photoshop. NADA. How do I otherwise reset the type tool?

NADA? You mean the reset dialog didn't show or the PS reset didn't change anything?

If the dialog didn't show, you may have not accessed it right. It's could be bit tricky... you have to hit Shift-Control-Alt a split second after clicking the CC launch. Use your left hand fingers to press the 3 buttons simultaneously.....

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I did the same thing, I looked at the cursor and saw some inconsistency. I decided it was type and not the cursor line! I was typing and MrToM's post jumped on the screen!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ed, go to WINDOW > CHARACTER to open your Character Panel.

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 1.59.20 PM.png

It will look like this...

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 1.59.28 PM.png

MrToM

Guru
LOL...........you beat me this time! I just figured that out! Natasha is fired!
:rofl:
Well ya had your choice!

LOL... looks the penguin brigade beet us to it .....
Well....its typical isn't it?
Christmas just around the corner and the boys are on their best behavior.....still, at least we can party like there's no tomorrow now that 'Nagging Natasha' has gone to pastures new......I feel sorry for whoever has to entertain HER this Christmas!

Back to the plot....

This is what I'm looking at...

vertical_text_MT_01.jpg

Still doesn't explain where the cursor actually is but still....??

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you look at the Paragraph Alignment adjustment in the options bar, it's set to center alignment. So the cursor should be in the middle, I would think.

MrToM

Guru
If you look at the Paragraph Alignment adjustment in the options bar, it's set to center alignment. So the cursor should be in the middle, I would think.
Yeah you're right.....but I forgot that the cursor size is representative of the font size so if the font is only 1 or 2px high then the cursor will be too......the baseline center mark is probably covering it.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
His font size is 24pt, that must be a huge document!

Ed, we are saying that you need to increase your font size and you will be able to see the text.

MrToM

Guru
...His font size is 24pt, that must be a huge document!...
:rofl:
Just goes to show how often I look up there for any info.......24pt.....staring me in the face and I still didn't see it!

Big doc indeed.......I bet one bucket of :popcorn: its around 8260x12960px

Regards.
MrToM.