What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metadata & File Info

Gummo

Help
I process my photos with DxO OpticsPro 10.0 on delivery fromthe camera. In Bridge CS6'smetadata, DxO correctly appears as theapplication.
When I subsequently edit and save the images via PhotoshopCS6, DxO still appears as the application in Bridge's metadata and Photoshop's file info.

Any ideas?

Tom Mann

Guru
Bridge and Photoshop only show excerpts from the metadata. To see everything, use EXIFtool. It will likely show the full history of the file. If you want, post a typical file, and I'll have a look at the metadata.

May I ask why you are concerned about this? For example, if, for some reason, you are concerned about people knowing that you use DxO or think that you aren't using PS, just strip the metadata out, or edit whatever fields you don't like.

Tom M

Gummo

Thanks Tom.

When I edit and save an image in Photoshop, I want Photoshop to appear as the application in the file properties panel of metadata.

This is a quick way of identifying, from the thumbnail, which of a batch have had editing completed in Photoshop.

Gummo

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Ahhh ... now I understand why you want to do this.

It turns out that like you, I also find it very useful to have a record of what applications I have used on an image, especially when I might have tried two different approaches on an image.

The problem with trying to use the editing metadata to keep track of this is exactly what you found: not all applications write to the editing metadata, and not all applications display it fully.

So, if you look back at almost every image I've ever posted on this forum, you'll see that my technique is to incorporate this info into the file name. For example:
d7b_1234nef-DxO-ps01a_16bpc_sRGB.psd

These are only for my own uses. I always rename the final image going to the client as something more meaningful to them while preserving the unique identifying info, e.g.:
Client_name-Model_or_product_name-shoot_date_and_time-d7b_1234-2000x1500px_sRGB.jpg

Some people don't like the resulting long file names, even if it's only for their own cataloging system, and instead will either indicate the processing steps by a color label (visible in many, but not all applications, and often the colors in one application aren't the same as in another) or, even more simply and reliably by adding the info to the caption or keywords of the image (a metadata field that is almost never unintentionally mucked with by editing software). Also, in case you are good at this, there is always the possibility of adding your own custom metadata field to some types of images, but then only you will likely ever see it or even know it's there.

HTH,

Tom M

Gummo

Long file names scare me Tom - fair play to you for your discipline. Anyway, I got this surprising reply from a staff member on the Adobe Bridge forum:

Sorry for the metadata issue with Bridge.

Try this

• Open Bridge
• Then open any image from Bridge into Photoshop.
•Make some changes
•Click on save
• Go back to Bridge and see if the metadata has been modified or not.
• If not Close Bridge and then again

I did that and it works but I've asked the agent why do I need to do it twice!