What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Layers Palette

Nana

Oh, and IAmSam, you are right. The text tool is not the one causing me issues. It is the line tool that is not behaving as it has in the past. The text tool does create its own layer immediately and keeps that layer in the layers dropdown as long as I click on the accept checkmark. Sorry about that confusion, too. My bad.

thebestcpu

Guru
Thank you, Bestie!! I know that most tools have different options when using them and I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue here. However, like you and not being in front of my work PC (I am such a Macaholic), one never really knows what the tool settings are unless you are in front of them. So, when I report in to the gardens tomorrow morning, this will be the first thing I will check on before going on to using the suggestions Gedstar mentioned above. Thank you for your comeback! Always appreciate some expert help when I've already exhausted all the possible fixes I can think of. I'll let you all know if any of these ideas worked by end of day tomorrow. Happy Sunday!!

Nana

Heavens to Betsy :) Actually my user name is "thebestcpu" and my real name is John Wheeler.

Adding to what @IamSam already mentioned, the image below shows the three configurations for the Line Tool in the Tool Options panel in CS5 depending on which of the modes are selected (Shapes Layer, Paths, Fill Pixels).

The "Shapes Layer" option, when selected, does allow several additional options (as with CS6 shown by IamSam) to either create new Layers or combine the new Line with an existing Lines in various ways. Instead of having a drop down to select which option, their own separate icons are placed directly on the Tools Option panel in CS5 just to the right of the Weight option.

However, once you have selected a new empty Layer, the only option initial available is to Create a New Shape Layer. The other options when adding the next line (add, subtract, intersect, and exclude) would not create a New Layer yet those options would have to be manually selected.

I still suspect that you do not have the Shapes Layer option selected yet either way, I bet you will have it figured out on Monday.

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 12.50.26 PM.png

Last edited:

Nana

Would anyone like to guess whose suggestion was the one that worked and solved my problem? Thank you, Mr. John Wheeler, for leading me to the Shapes Panel and the answer to my quest!! I knew it was probably going to be a very simple solution and had already tried all kinds of solutions with the thought that someone else who shares my work computer with me had hit a key or turned off a setting that had always been there for me. It turns out that none of the 3 options for the line tool were selected. First thing this morning, I selected the Shapes Panel and then tested it out. I don't think you can even imagine how happy I was to find I could go back to the way I've been doing things for the past 3 years and no longer have to waste time requesting new layers from the layers menu. This means a lot when one is working on thousands of these drawings in the course of a year. Thank you to all of you who tried to help me figure this issue out. I so appreciate that you are all here, helping us newcomers along on the road to PS expertise!

Nana

thebestcpu

Guru
Glad you are back up and running as I know how annoying that can be to have something just not work the way as expected.
John