What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Layers Palette

Nana

Over the holidays, some updates were done to the computers where I do volunteer work and my PhotoShop 5CS has stopped bringing up new layers automatically. Prior to this, when working on a pen and ink drawing, each time I added a new "line" or "text", and new layer would show up in my Layers palette. Now, I have to keep going up to the "Layers" in the menu and click on "new" before adding any lines or text to my drawing. I've tried everything I know of to take care of this but haven't come upon the solution yet. Any help?

Nana

gedstar

Guru
Hi Nana

Can you explain what you mean by this "Prior to this, when working on a pen and ink drawing, each time I added a new "line" or "text"
Do you mean the Pen Tool and Text Tool? or what tool are you referring to.

You could try this if PS is acting strange
To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings.

If you could supply screenshots and your workflow it will help us to help you!

Ged

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We need to establish what you mean by "new line"?

With the Type Tool, if you click once on the document, you will bring up a cursor. The Type Tool will continue to type text on the same layer, even when you use the return/enter key. Only when you hit the check/tick mark at the top or click on the type/text layer will the tool create a new layer when you again click on the document.

If you want to add new text to an existing layer, you will have to double click the T thumbnail of the text layer.

Nana

OK, sorry about that. I guess I should have told you that I am working on an antiquated version of PS, 5 CS. On my work screen, I have in my tool panel a line tool and a text tool. Whenever I would work on a drawing (I work with scans of very old pen and ink drawings of parts & pieces of orchid flowers), if I was adding a measurement line or adding any words, my layers panel would automatically add a "new layer" and would name it Layer 1 or 2 or 3, until I renamed them. Now, I have to go up to the main menu, click on the Layers dropdown and then click on "new" before I can begin my next work step. Here is a sample of my work:

file:///Users/alfredkaram/Desktop/01904%20Original.jpg

Does this help you to help me?

Nana

gedstar

Guru
Hi Nana

You need to click on this button and browse to the location on your PC to upload an image

Untitled.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No Nana it did not.

Here are some instruction on how to upload images:
ImageUploadIcon.jpg

ImageUploadIcon_02.png

Nana

I actually tried it that way first with no success. Once I clicked on upload, nothing happened. Maybe I need another cuppa?

Nana

Oh, wait. I am currently on my Mac. Does this change how I go about attaching an image?

gedstar

Guru
Oh, wait. I am currently on my Mac. Does this change how I go about attaching an image?

As far as I'm aware it shouldn't although I'm on a PC
Did you click on the Browse Button? you have to browse to the location of the image first before you hit the upload button!

Nana

Scan 133490002.jpg

By jove, I think I'm of the advanced set!! Had to use the advanced reply and pull one of my stored images. Hope this works!

Nana

As you can see, I work on drawings, not photos and in order to get these drawings down to the sizing required and to move parts and pieces into the nicest looking placement, we use PS. Where you see the "lines" at the bottom right of the image, I use these to indicate the sizing of each section of the orchids. Hence, if the line is not thick enough, I will redraw the line with the proper px size and then I use the text tool to write the dimension of the lines directly above the lines. Being without the automatic layers is putting a dent in my time on each image I work on.

Nana

gedstar

Guru
OK are you saying that when you use the Text Tool it's not creating a new Text Layer?

Like this
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
OK try this, right click on the Tool and select Reset Tool or Reset All Tools
Untitled1.jpg

Failing that I would recommend resetting your preferences
To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings.

What version of PS do you have is it PS 5 or PSCS5?

Ged

Last edited:

Nana

Thank you, Ged! I will try that out on Monday and will let you know if that process works or not. Sadly, I have to admit that the work PC has PSCS5 on it. I'm going to start slowly pushing for a new version. Thanks!

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Nana

I read through all the posts and I could not follow exactly what you are doing, I am going to suggest something to check out.

When you are using the Line Tool, there are three options in the Tools panel. I had to boot up my old computer with CS5 to get the screen image yet I included it below with the line tool selected. You can see three options just to the right of the tool and they all behave differently. My bet is that you have it set on the wrong option. Here is what they do in order:

Shapes Layer: With this option, a Shape Layer is created with each line you create (probably what you want). Draw another line and you get another Layer

Paths: This does not create another Layer, just a just a new single channel in the Channels pallette. Each new line adds another path in this single new channel.

Fill Pixels: All this does is add pixels to the existing selected Layer. Each new line added just adds more pixels to the same Layer and no new Layers are created (you probably have this option selected in error).

From your description of the symptoms, this is my best guess as to what is going on. Not positive yet I think it is worth a look (fingers crossed for you :) )

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 9.36.41 AM.png

Last edited:

Nana

Thank you, Bestie!! I know that most tools have different options when using them and I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue here. However, like you and not being in front of my work PC (I am such a Macaholic), one never really knows what the tool settings are unless you are in front of them. So, when I report in to the gardens tomorrow morning, this will be the first thing I will check on before going on to using the suggestions Gedstar mentioned above. Thank you for your comeback! Always appreciate some expert help when I've already exhausted all the possible fixes I can think of. I'll let you all know if any of these ideas worked by end of day tomorrow. Happy Sunday!!

Nana

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Based on the first post, I originally thought we were talking about the TYPE TOOL bringing up new layers automatically. When you referred to "lines", I thought you meant lines of text and not the LINE TOOL as well.

Either way, I don't know if the type tool can act in the manner that you describe. I know the TYPE TOOL acts just as I described it in post #3. I have scoured the internet for information on CS5's TYPE TOOL, but I have not found anything that supports you claim that it would create a new layer in the manner to which you describe.

IN CS6, the LINE TOOL will create a new layer everytime as long as the PATH OPERATIONS are set to new layer.
Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 12.05.23 PM.png

I don't know if this s an option in CS5, but I'm willing to bet that there is.

However, since I don't have a copy of CS5, I will refrain from any further comment.

Last edited:

Nana

Aha!!! Now THAT may be the answer! Since the PC that I use at my place of business (volunteer work) is "handled" by a number of other volunteers during each week, someone may have changed that Path Operation selection. I will have to check that out on Monday, too!! And, please accept my apology if I don't always use the correct jargon for the buttons, palettes and menus when I chat with you guys and gals. Since it's volunteer work, and I only work 2 x per week, I am basically still in the newbie stage of PS, even though I've now been working with PS for about 3 years. This is a fun, challenging and extremely useful program and I'm sure I will never get to be an expert at any of it. I'm just happy to be able to give back to the world now that I'm retired. Again, thank you for your help. I'll let you know how this works out!

Nana