What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeing things after zooming out

Andy Reiss

So one would usually expect to AFTER ZOOMING IN to maybe discover some flaws that arent visible while zoomed out.

But lately Ill be having the OPPOSITE happen. Ill be working with a file all the way zoomed in, and while it will look fine zoomed in(for example one color directly touching another one), once I zoom out to about 75% or further, there appears to be gaps in between.

Zoom back in to max and its fine....

Anyone wanna explain to me whatsup?

Also, could you post an image where you see this effect? It would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Tom M

PS - Whoops. Never mind. I see Ged already requested this.

Sorry, I always seem to space adding in those details whenever I have to ask a question....

I am using CS5 on a windows vista home premium 64 bit machine.
The times I usually see it happen are in cases where I'm using selections to either erase or fill in color.
Between the first time I ran into this and the last (last night) I have reset preferences at least 3 times.

I attached three screenshot examples of what happened last night. You can see the first one is zoomed out quite a ways and there is obviously some left over white from the masked shapes.... the next two images are zoomed in about 60 something % and max and you can't see any of the white..... making it hard to deal with.

wu1.jpgwu2.jpgwu3.jpg

Last edited:
You've created a pattern...

1e5e96df88d4dba3af40b30fa09f7bd4.png

Then filled it bback in again lol, leaving a very faint stroke-ish outline.

4311742a58d31e013e238e9b9d676e93.png

Basically, when you zoom in, theres nothing to see lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
right, I made the pattern, and then realized I wanted to have 'holes' instead of white spots, so I selected and masked them... (ya ya I know, but its the example I had easiest access to).....

so how can there be white traces left, but when you zoom in closer you cant see it..... It doesnt make any sense to me....

so if I were to print that out, the white would show up?

because I CAN mask the left over outlines out, but not with any kind of accuracy due to the fact it disappears when you zoom in... XD (did it disappear for you?)

I can't seem to replicate it without using masks at the moment... but the first few times I ran into it, no masks were used.... only making selects with the free hand and pen tools and then either brushing color or using fill.

You are doing the Photoshop equivalent of dividing zero by zero in math ... essentially any small errors in the display scaling algorithms will be magnified by this odd test situation. If you want to see the effect go completely away, just highlight the layer mask, go to properties, and drop the density of the mask down to some value below about 90%. Now, when you change the viewing magnification none of these errors at the edges appear.

FWIW, I've probably looked at a hundred thousand or more PS files in my life and never once have I seen any situation where one needed to use the exact inverse of a layer as its own layer mask. So, the real question is, what exactly are you trying to do? I'm sure there is a more conventional way than this to get there than this. For example, if your goal is to see all those white edges, it's easy to do so (see below).

Tom M

Attachments

• issue1-tjm01-ps01a-02_698px_wide.jpg
    issue1-tjm01-ps01a-02_698px_wide.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 17
Hi Andy
What you are viewing are artifacts caused by PS viewing algorithms at submit 100% viewing.

You will not see them on printing.

The best way to preview without such anomalies is to
a) Stamp all visible Layers to a new unique Layers (or a sample flattening of your image)
b) View at 100%

Your artifacts will disappear with a simple stamping to a Layer

Could provide more details on these artifacts yet sometimes it is best to know the limitations of PS and know how to avoid or workaround the problems.

FYI and hope this helps

John Wheeler

Hi Andy

Here is an example PSD file that demonstrates some of this type of artifact creation in a more extreme fashion. It does not require having a mask to make it happen either.

If you view this image below about 64% (50% for sure on my machine) the text Layer below shows through that should be totally hidden by the layer above.

FYI

John

View attachment Extreme PS Artifacting.psd

Back