What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is It Just Me..? #5 CC 2014/15 Preferences Pickle...

MrToM

Guru
The problem:

UN-checking "Resize Image During Place" in CC2014 and CC2015 is not retained in preferences.

RIDP_MT_01.png

To Replicate:

1. UN-check the option in Preferences > General
2. Close PS.
3. Open PS.
4. Open Preferences > General

The option is checked again.

Seems to be the only pref which isn't saved but....Is it just me?

And before anyone suggests it, (and you know who you are!), resetting the prefs file doesn't fix it....not for me anyway.

Regards.
MrToM.

PS...whats wrong with posting new threads then?
Wont post because of too many 'tags'.......well I never typed any 'tags' so why the error...!!!!!

Seems to have automatically made every word in the post a tag...and then has the audacity to tell me it wont post because of it!

I leave ya for 5 minutes and someone breaks the forum. :rofl:

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Mr Tom
I have Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 and Photoshop CC 2015.0.1

I have not issue with that option being saved properly. I doubt you are the only person with the issues. In the past there have been several culprits of the Preferences file not saving correctly

1) The Preferences file is read only for the permissions you have (i.e. the login you have used does not have permissions). Best to check the permissions of the Preferences file and the path from root to the Preferences file to make sure you have access.

2) You would get the same behavior if the Preferences file was somehow corrupted yet this seems less likely. If the file is corrupted, then it just ends up using the default Preferences file I believe which would be the same as a reset of the Preferences file.

3) I have never confirmed this yet ages ago, it was rumored that you needed to wait a slight bit before reopening Photoshop as the Preferences file was not totally written. This could be possible yet it would be a software bug and would be skeptical that it would be on any recent Photoshop version (maybe an old software writers tale :) )

That's what comes to mind

John Wheeler

MrToM

Guru
Thanks John.

I should have made it clearer that this is on a Win OS but no matter, as usual just after posting I found the culprit....typical!

So it IS just me.....darn it! :biglaff:

Thanks again.

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
Morning MrTom

Just checked on my work PC and it doesn't happen to me, stays unchecked after reopening PS, I'll check on my home PC later and let you know!

Untitled.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Thanks ged.....in fact......you're in the perfect position to MAKE it happen! :rofl:

Try it with my panel open...

Yeah....I know.......:banghead:

I've no idea why a custom panel should affect the preferences...I do change a pref but Its nothing to do with that particular option......weird.

I had a similar problem before with tab text changing when separating channels.....I fixed that so fingers crossed.

Anyway...I've some investigating to do.....I may be some time.

Thanks again.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Thanks too Eggy for trying it out for me, very much appreciated.

As you can see I've already located the problem....sooner than expected but still, I now know what it is.

You wont experience the problem unless you have my panel installed.

Further investigation leads to a very weird situation whereby changing the 'Guide' colour via a script, (Obtained from the listener so its what PS uses by default), resets that particular preference to be checked.

Using the 'Preferences' dialog to change the Guide colour doesn't do anything unusual...its just when the code, which is exactly the same code, is run from a script.

I'm not convinced I can sort it as there is only the one set of code to change the colour of the Guides.....pretty much stumped at the moment to be honest.

Doesn't make sense but then does anything Adobe does? :rofl:

Thanks again.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Wahoo!

All fixed.....turned out to be a PIBCAK! :rofl:

Thanks everyone for your assistance, appreciated as always.

Regards.
MrToM.