What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS5 [Creative Suite 5 Design Premium] is not working with Windows 10 =(

Aebian

Hi,I have the CS5 installed and everything except Photoshop works fine. I used in yesterday without any problems.
But then it started to freeze and after I killed it with the Task Manager it stops working.
I cannot drag or open any images via the Context Menu and saving of modified or created files is no longer possible. Why?

My System has Windows 10 Pro x64 and a bunch of Services Packs installed. What else information do you need?
Tried with both 32-Bit and 64-Bit WIndows.I already tried resetting and re-installing the Suite

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

I'm sorry your having issues. I can't be of much help since I only run Macs. According to what little I have read, Windows 10 is extremely buggy and it's not getting along well with Photoshop. As soon as Adobe Community is up and running again (upgrades), be sure and post your problem there.

We have had several computers where I work converted back to an earlier version of Windows in order to get them working again. Again, sorry not much help.

gedstar

Guru
@IamSam I have Windows 10 on both my PC and Laptop and have zero issues running PS or any applications and I don't find it buggy in anyway, maybe I'm one of the lucky ones :giggle:having said that I always look after my machine, my PC is running perfectly and I regularly create system images on a weekly basis that way if something goes tits up it only takes me 2 minutes to get my system back to the way it was.
@Aebian
Take a look in Event Viewer under System and Applications and see if there's any crash reports there for Photoshop
At the command prompt type eventvwr and hit return or just click on start and type the same command
If there's any crash reports there post them back and I'll take a look, one question have you updated your Graphics Card Driver?

You could also try running a file system scan
Step 1: Open cmd (Command Prompt) as administrator. You need to be in the system32 folder to run this command.
Step 2: Type sfc /scannow and hit enter
Step 3: This will initiate a scanning process. Wait for the scan to complete. To complete the process restart the computer immediately.

Another thing to check, can you create another logon profile on the PC and try PS with a different logon

Just another thought, did you do a fresh install of Windows 10 or an upgrade and if it was an upgrade which version of Windows did you upgrade from?
I'd recommend doing a fresh install, formatting the hard drive and installing Windows 10 and Creative Suite from scratch, sometimes doing an upgrade can carry over issues from the previous OS

Last edited:

Aebian

I did a complete fresh installation of Windows 10 and have both the CS Collection and Windows 10 on the same SSD.

I also did the ScanNow but so far my PS is not working correctly. I can colorize stuff, and import pictures but I cannot save any items or stuff I uhst changed =S . I also cant create a new file since the dialog is not appearing.
Btw I don't have any entries with P ^^
Event_Viewer_2016-04-16_22-42-43.png

Anything else I can do?

Administrator_Command_Prompt_2016-04-16_22-56-30.png

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
OK you need to look in Event Viewer for the time when PS crashes, look in both applications and system, system is probably where you'll find the crash event

Judging by your scan report there is corruption in the OS which is not a good thing
Take a look here
http://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/
And try this command
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Have you tried logging on with a different user profile as I suggested, there could be an issue with your logon profile

Aebian

gedstar:

Administrator_Command_Prompt_2016-04-16_23-20-06.png

I have the Windows DVD in my Disk-Drive but the Link provided does not include how to set Sources to a DVD Drive.

Aebian

@gedstar:

I will try the Link you posted, thanks. And no I haven't tried it with a new User Account. Will do that right after. Thanks so far for your help.

E://

Yes with a new User profile it works.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm one of the lucky ones, having said that, I always look after my machine, my PC is running perfectly and I regularly create system images on a weekly basis that way if something goes tits up it only takes me 2 minutes to get my system back to the way it was.
Exactly! :thumbsup:

Aebian

gedstar:

A really strange behavior I have noticed. If I edit an image and the want to save it it doesn't work. But if I remove every layer so that there is only one then I can save it as png...

gedstar

Guru
Is this happening with the new user account and if so do you get an error message when you try to save?
What happens if you create a new file and add some text layers can you save the psd?

Aebian

WIndows said Incompatible Program. I currently doing the Thing above you suggested.

Did you install anything related that could fix that incompability?
Maybe a specific dotnet framework?

gedstar

Guru
WIndows said Incompatible Program. I currently doing the Thing above you suggested.

Did you install anything related that could fix that incompability?
Maybe a specific dotnet framework?

Are you talking about the Repair Tool or Photoshop?

I use Photoshop CC2015 so don't have any issues and the Repair Tool runs fine on my Windows 10 PC
You could try running it in Compatibility Mode
http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

Last edited:

Aebian

gedstar:

I'm not sure if CC2015 is the same as CS5?!

I fixed some errors with the program (repair thingy) and photoshop seems to work again, however: I need to run it with Administrator Priv's otherwise my PS crashes at the start after the contributors were loaded.
The run as admin is no problem but I can't drag'n drop when PS is running as Admin. I think that is caused because my explorer is not running as Admin I think...

gedstar

Guru
CS5 was released in 2010 and PSCC2015 in the latest release of PS

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
OK just as a test I installed Photoshop CS5 on a Windows 10 PC and it's running fine no errors loading and I don't have to run it in Compatibility Mode, everything is working as it should!

Untitled.jpg

So there's no problem running PSCS5 on a Windows 10 PC, I think it's an issue with your PC and the OS and at this stage the only thing that I can suggest is a re-installation of the Operating System

Last edited:

Aebian

gedstar:

Well thanks for the test. My CS5 runs also now. Seems like the repair tool you posted above did something. I just need to fix drag'n drop but so far its loading. I changed it so its starting always as Admin and that works.

gedstar

Guru
@gedstar:

Well thanks for the test. My CS5 runs also now. Seems like the repair tool you posted above did something. I just need to fix drag'n drop but so far its loading. I changed it so its starting always as Admin and that works.

Found this
https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/3j4j5b/cant_drag_and_drop_when_run_as_administrator/

At least PS is running now!
Are you using a Local Administrator account or is it a Microsoft account to log onto the PC with

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
You should be able to drag and drop from Bridge, I have tested it here and it works fine when running PSCS5 as Administrator!!

P.S. I really don't think there's anything more I can do for you here sorry

Last edited: