What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

image layers causing major slow down with PS6

1adam-12

Looking for a little help please.... I am working on some sports poster collages with many layers and images used.... Never had this problem before, but recently PS6 has been working at an extremely SLOW pace.... specifically when SAVING the file...

a Little history... my sports collages usually end up being 4-6GB files when finished.... saving those files used to take my computer 15-20 seconds to save.... However, recently I have been working on some projects and now Photoshop is taking 2-3 MINUTES to save the file.... And these files are less than 3GB when I am saving them....

I have trouble shooted the cause I THINK to TWO texture files I am using for background fill... they are simple Jpeg files about 7-8MB each in size..... when these 2 files are included with the project is when Photoshop works very slow... if I take them out of the project, then Photoshop works as I am accustomed to... There is nothing special that I can see with these two images... I have used similar images in the past with other projects.... I am completely stumped...

anyone have any ideas or suggestions??? any help is appreciated...

thanks... Dave

gedstar

Guru
Hi Dave
Not sure if this will be any help at all but you could try saving the texture files in a different format maybe .tiff or .png and then import them into the project
Just a thought

Last edited:

1adam-12

Hi Dave
Not sure if this will be any help at all but you could try saving the texture files in a different format maybe .tiff or .png and then import them into the project
Just a thought

ya.. I tried that too... but converting them makes the image file size 4x bigger than a jpeg... For some reason these two images are causing photoshop to think A LOT... maybe because they are abstract color textures???

very frustrating...

thebestcpu

Guru
Dave
I suggest checking your memory usage with either Task Manager on Windows or Activity Monitor on Macs.

Your total memory can also be consumed by many things in Photoshop including history states saved (which could extremely large) and /or by other applications running in parallel. You did not mention your machine and how much memory you have yet the size files you are talking about might even choke on a 16G machine.

Just a suggestion

1adam-12

Dave
I suggest checking your memory usage with either Task Manager on Windows or Activity Monitor on Macs.

Your total memory can also be consumed by many things in Photoshop including history states saved (which could extremely large) and /or by other applications running in parallel. You did not mention your machine and how much memory you have yet the size files you are talking about might even choke on a 16G machine.

Just a suggestion

I am running windows 7 professional 64bit.... Intel I-7-4790CPU@4.00GHz with 32 GB of Ram... I have the suggested amount of RAW dedicated to Photoshop... and I am running 223 GB of SSD as a scratch drive... I have tried shutting down all programs when working in Photoshop... and that does not effect the speed issue.... I still keep coming back to the same issue... when I have one or both of the two texture layers in the project the sytem is very slow.... when I dont have those two file in the project the system is fast.... and another thing.. it is ONLY slow when i do a save or save as.... when i am working on the layers the speed is still there.... I just dont get what it is with these two files.... I am going to atttach the 2 files in another post after this one... maybe someone can see something I am missing...

thanks again for the suggestions...

Dave

1adam-12

well... i cant seem to add the images on here either.... what is it with these images??? i think they are cursed..

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
well... i cant seem to add the images on here either.... what is it with these images??? i think they are cursed..

Are they the normal jpg or JPEG2000? I once encountered a bit of difficulty on certain files of this sort in my old i7....

You can also try resizing the image ever so slightly then re-saving it in a different file name. It may have something to do with the image file itself..... doing this might sort out the demons in it....

1adam-12

Are they the normal jpg or JPEG2000? I once encountered a bit of difficulty on certain files of this sort in my old i7....

You can also try resizing the image ever so slightly then re-saving it in a different file name. It may have something to do with the image file itself..... doing this might sort out the demons in it....

Yep.... normal jpegs.... I have tried resizing from 300ppi to 72ppi... that does not solve the problem.... its funny because at 72ppi the file computer is just as slow as when they are at 300ppi....

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I've never tried this before and am only basing it on PS's regenerating of the preview before the actual save.....

If you can tolerate the speed while working on it but a bother to save, try hiding the image layers then save.....

just saying...