What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Path tool Fill/Stroke options always grayed out

MoltresRider

I am having an issue with the fill/stroke options always grayed out whenever I use the paths tool. I cannot follow a single tutorial on any stroke path tutorial. There are about a dozen tutorials on how to do a dotted stroke, none of which work because they all tell me to use the fill/stroke options in the paths menu bar, however, every time I create a path, those options are always grayed out. What could be causing this and how do I fix it? I googled this problem but only a few results show and they say to make sure a layer is selected. a layer is selected. Others say it is for regular selections only, but that would make all tutorials invalid. One result said to make sure a text layer is not selected, but I do not have any text layers in my project, so something bigger is the problem

hawkeye

Guru
Stroke and fill options are available on the top tool bar when you create a shape-path which yields a shape layer.
For stroke and fill options on a simple work path look at the bottom of the paths panel, or right click the selected path and choose the option from the drop-down menu. By the way, a work path is independent of any given layer. Path strokes, fills, etc. applied to a work path are placed on the active layer (except text and shape layers) but the work path itself remains independent.

Last edited:

MoltresRider

You are speaking a foreign language to me. can you reiterate with a simpler description of the problem and fix?

hawkeye

Guru
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachments

• Untitled20160503112901.jpg
    Untitled20160503112901.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Untitled20160503113003.jpg
    Untitled20160503113003.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 36