What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manually install extensions in Photoshop CC

Iankidd

Hi guys, so for a graphic design project for my high school computer class I need to use an extension, namely Long Shadow Generator 2. I've tried installing it through the extensions manager, which fails to recognize any adobe products on my mac, as well as using the adobe addons site. Either way, the extension simply wont show up in photoshop and I'm beginning to lose my mind. Is there a way I could possibly manually install the extension?

Thanks in advance,

Ian C.

Tom Mann

Guru
I had never heard of this software, so I did a bit of research. Unfortunately, the results were complicated. Specifically:

1. One website, http://graphicburger.com/long-shadow-generator/ , says that it is a layered PSD file, not an action, nor plugin, nor extension.

2. A second website, https://www.behance.net/gallery/10655837/Long-Shadow-Generator-Free-Photoshop-Action , unambiguously says that it is an action. (Note that actions generally will not be compatible between different versions of PS).

3. A third website, http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/long-shadow-generator/ , says that it is indeed an extension and is installed using the extension manager, but notes that there are two versions -- one version for PS CS6, and another for PS CC.

This info strongly suggests that there are multiple versions out there, all with similar names.

Because of this, I would suggest:

a) If you have a small number of shadows to make, just make them yourself using native PS tools. It's quite easy to do. If you are interested, let us know because there was a old thread on this forum describing how to do this, and I'll be happy to hunt it down for you. If you have to cast shadows from a large number of objects, then it might be worth you while to figure out why this piece of SW won't install using the method you have tried.

b) If you want to pursue the use of this software, then you should do some research yourself to determine compatibility and appropriate installation methods. You will need to find out what version of PS you are using, whether or not you, as a student with a regular account on that computer have sufficient privileges to install software, and exactly which version of the software you are dealing with.

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
I don't think I ever saw that thread, Hoogle. Thanks for posting itt. It was right on target for the OP. THANKS!!!!

Let's see if the OP returns, and then we can guide with respect to all the different versions, etc.

All the best,

Tom M

Iankidd

Hi guys,

unfortunately I need the specific extension that I linked to in my first post. My friend and I are using it to make icons for an android app, and it's been working flawlessly except on this computer. My main problem is the adobe addons site, it doesn't send the extension to my photoshop. And because this is a later version of Photoshop CC, the extension manager doesn't work for it anymore.

Thanks,

Ian C.

Iankidd

Thanks guys... looks like there really isn't a way to use zxp files in this version of photoshop anymore. I'll definitely look into some of the actions you guys have linked.

Thanks again,

Ian C

Tom Mann

Guru
Sorry it didn't work out for you, but there's an important lesson to be learned - Never assume compatibility, no matter how obvious compatibility might seem.

If you think this particular compatibility problem was obscure, you should see how many commercial actions are broken every time a new release of PS is released, and actions would seem to so simple and robust. NOT.

BTW, did you look into the other versions of "long shadow" that I mentioned in post #2? One of those may be compatible with the version of PS that you are using.

Good luck with your project.

Tom M