What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

photoshop automatically apply filters?

Hi guys, i wonder if anyone has encountered the situation where after you apply filter to a layer and then duplicate that layer, the new copied layer comes out with the original filter applied again on it so it becomes 2 x strength filter effects?

Is this something that can be deactivated?

MrToM

Guru
Post your exact workflow so that we can replicate it...there are many filters, all of which work differently.....plus many ways to duplicate a layer.....etc etc.

It may be that the filter you are using has transparency or uses a blending mode which would have an effect on the result but without actually go through the process its difficult to say what is happening.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thanks.

1. Start with a normal layer with a portrait

2. Gobti filter gallery and apply the texture filter craquelure

3. Add a layer mask to limit the effects of the craquelure filter to the certain sections of the face

4. Duplicate this layer

Immediately i can see that the effects of the craquelure filter on this new layer is more exaggerated than that on the original layer (it spread into more parts of the face). Why is that so?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

MrToM

Guru
Sorry but that doesn't make sense.

What's 'Gobti' filter gallery?
A 3rd party filter pack?

Regardless, PS does have a 'Craquelure' filter but you cannot use a layer mask on just the filter....a layer mask affects the layer as a whole....by the time you add a layer mask the filter will have already been rasterised with the original pixels.

As such I can only assume you are masking the whole layer with some sort of 'feathering' to your edges which will have an effect on the result......any filters used are irrelevant.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Ah.....yes...that fits.

You have to admit though....'Gobti' does sound like a filter gallery.

The rest still doesn't makes sense though.....unless I'm missing something?

Thanks for the clarification.....spollchickin.....who needs it eh? :rofl:

Regards.
MrToM.

Haha sorry yes i meant “go to”. I should also add that before step 1 above i have duplicated the original layer so the filter was added on a copy layer. You can then add a layer mask on this first copy layer so as to only show part of the effects of this layer (“First Layer”).

However when i copy this First Layer and Photoshop generates a new layer with the original layer mask (“Second Layer”), the impact of the filter on this Second Layer is stronger Than that on the First Layer. Why is that so? Is there a way to disable it?

gedstar

Guru
I would assume this is what your layers panel looks like
Untitled.jpg

If so I'm not seeing any great difference after duplicating the layer, although there is a slight increase in the effect around the edges of the hair!

Last edited:
The upper layer has mor effect applied when compared to the bottom layer. Even when the same filter is used

MrToM

Guru
Like I said if your mask has some degree of 'transparency' then a duplicate on top of it will double the effect in those 'transparent' areas.

Normally this would only happen at the edges where transparency is more likely to be found but if the 'black' parts of the mask are not 100% pure 'black' then the whole [second duplicate] layer will have transparency.....thus increasing the 'effect' across the whole layer.

I don't think this has anything to do with 'filters', more to do with your masking....your 'black' isn't 'black'.

Regards.
MrToM.

Oh right. Yes u r right. Its the brush that was used to paint the layer mask that is the issue! Thanks for solving this!

I tried altering the options on layer styles and found that once i change the fill opacity under Advanced blending mode to zero the duplicating effect disappeared