What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brush tool erasing in Quick Mask mode rather than filling in

emski

Hello
This is my first mayday call on this site!

I'm currently jumping back and forward between quick mask mode and my standard layer. When I am in the standard layer the brush tool is performing as it should, but when I go into quick mask it is erasing my selection (red) rather than filling in where I draw! This morning I was doing the exact same thing and it was working fine.

Any ideas how I can fix this? It's driving me nuts! Thanks

mozartdminor

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but I just replicated your problem in my photoshop trying to paint with the color white in quick mask. It seems that painting in black adds, and painting in white erases...

Lacko-illustration

Brush tool erasing in Quick Mask mode rather than filling? :banghead:

When you are in Quick Mask mode and your paint brush is ERASING instead of filling with a color mask
more then likely it is because you have swapped the foreground and background colors in the tool bar.
In default mode the foreground and background colors are black and white. If you swap them while
in quick mask mode they will do the opposite action. White color will erase and black color will paint.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Brush tool erasing in Quick Mask mode rather than filling? :banghead:

When you are in Quick Mask mode and your paint brush is ERASING instead of filling with a color mask
more then likely it is because you have swapped the foreground and background colors in the tool bar.
In default mode the foreground and background colors are black and white. If you swap them while
in quick mask mode they will do the opposite action. White color will erase and black color will paint.

You're on the mark..... buuuut this thread is 7 years old.

Better late than never..... :thumbsup:.

Lacko-illustration

You're on the mark..... buuuut this thread is 7 years old.

Better late than never..... :thumbsup:.

Yeah I know but I hate looking for answers to Photoshop questions only to find dead ends. Just because the thread is old doesn't mean it's useless.
I figured I'd leave a more detailed answer just in case someone else was having the same issue. I ran across this thread which is still populating on
the first page of the search results on Google.

Tom Mann

Guru
Great! Thank you for giving a bit more detail than in post #2 so that if anyone is searching for an answer, they will find a complete explanation.

So, why don't you hang around and help out some more? We love people who contribute constructively.

Cheers,

Tom M