What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop files problem

revnart

Power User
Hi today I run in problem I've never seen before.
I always save files as tiff, with LZW compression, same byte order, without image pyramid etc. - exactly same settings as before.

But when I send files to the PosterPrint (Roland Printer software we use) suddenly I get an error "Image file format not supported [2]"

What I noticed was larger file size and after some investigation, I found that copying merged file and creating a new one in another workstation and saving as usual works great.
I found that data stored in XMP / EXIF are different in one place called "Document Ancestors"

Correct file have only one line but the broken file have hundreds of lines.

Question:
Do you have any idea why it suddenly occurs?
How to easily fix it without clearing photoshop preferences files?
(I read about that -->) Is there a script which will remove unnecessary lines in XMP metadata which I can set to run automatically in Scripts Event manager?

Thank you for all your help.

Last edited:

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Revnart
Hard to know exactly where the incompatibility with Roland Printer Software. That software does not support TIFFs with ZIP or JPEG compression so that does not sound as if its the issue.

Based on what you said, it might be in the metadata. It was not clear that is the root cause issue or something else. Also, there are ways to eliminate most if not all metadata in Photoshop yet I don't know if you want to selectively keep some metadata.

So my tidbits here are real guesses and I don't know if it will be your problem.

As far as things suddenly changing, I do know that if you recently changed your Camera Raw preferences so that JPEGs or TIFFs will open in ACR before going to PS, then a good amount of metadata is added. No clue if this is your issue yet changing those Camera Raw preferences would create that sudden change.

If you problem is extra metadata and you are OK with eliminating most metadata, then you can follow these steps (I am pretty sure this works). Basic approach is to copy the Layers to a new document from within PS to eliminate the metadata.
- Select the Layers you desire to go into the new document
- Right click in the Layers panel (near right side not on image icon)
- Chose Duplicate Layer
- In the panel that pops up chose the naming of the Layer as you see bit and under the document dropdown pick New. You now can choose the document name you desire. Clicking OK creates the new document with much reduced metadata.

I suggest giving that a try and see if it will work when using the Roland Printer Software

Big guess on my part yet thought it was worth mentioning.

John Wheeler