What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So for a little while now, when I'm drawing in photoshop, I'll do Command-Z to undo my last mistake. Holding down the command key also turns my pen into the move tool (idk if that's for everyone or just me). Sometimes I just type the command, my error gets corrected and then my cursor goes back to the pen tool. And then sometimes, my cursor will just stay as the move tool instead. This may seem like just an insignificant problem, but it's really annoying when I go to draw and I just move my entire layer.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this??

When you say the move tool, are you meaning the 'direct selection tool', which looks like a white arrow? This is used to move anchor points.

Or are you meaning the 'Hand Tool', which looks like a hand? This is used to move the canvas when your zoomed in.

Being a PC and not a MAC user myself this is a stab in the dark - but have you tried using the other Command Key on your keyboard?

It is possible that there is a problem with your keyboard - have you tried using an on-screen keyboard to see if the same behavior happens?

Cheers

John

Neither, I'm talking about the move tool, the tool at the very top of the tool bar that looks like a plus sign with arrows at the end of each line

Sorry.

In your original post you say that your using the Pen Tool. When you hold down the command key while using the Pen Tool, you get the "Direct Path Selection Tool" which is a white arrow and not the Move Tool. This is normal.

The Move Tool cursor will appear as black on the canvas when the tool is selected. While using the Pen Tool, if you hit the option + command key, you get the Path Selection Tool which is a black arrow.

This is why I'm confused when you mention the MOVE TOOL

Move Tool
Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 8.17.20 AM.png

Direct Path Selection Tool
Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 8.17.30 AM.png

If you want to move the entire layer from any tool, use the space bar.

Hello? Anything?

If your getting the actual Move Tool when you hit the command key while using the Pen Tool, then you do have a problem and you need to reset Photoshop.

This is how to reset your preferences in Photoshop: Press-and-hold Command-Option-Shift on a Mac or Ctrl-Alt-Shift on a PC, while you start Photoshop. As you start the program you will get a pop-up dialog asking you if you would like to delete the settings file. Deleting the file will create a new set of preferences from scratch.

Back