What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot Get 'Vanishing Point' Filter to Work

Rich54

Guru
This is the image from last week where the task was to extend the floor to the bottom of the canvas. I was able to do this in three seconds using Edit>Transform>Perspective, but then Mr. Tom pointed out that it can also be done using Vanishing Point. I viewed two tutorials (Phlearn and Lynda) a couple of times each and tried to do it, but it's not working.

First problem: In Image 1, I created my perspective grid but deliberately made the back-right corner too low to prove that the internal gridlines are present. But once I adjust that corner to properly square-up the grid, all the internal gridlines disappear (see Image 2) and I'm left with only the outline, which is sometimes blue and sometimes red. It does not do this in the tutorials.

Second problem: In Image 2, I transferred my selection of the floor from the clipboard into the VP filter. But when I move it down into the grid in Image 3, I cannot get any of the floorboards to line up to the original floor. I use the Transform adjustments but it just won't work.

Third problem: there does not seem to be any 'Undo' feature in the VP filter. Make one mistake anywhere in the process and you need to start all the way from the beginning. Is there an undo command I'm not aware of?

What am I doing wrong? Appreciate any assistance.

Rich

Step1.jpgStep2.jpgStep3.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Hi Rich,

Yeah you do have to be careful when using this....but I never said it was easy, just possible :rofl:

In order for this to work you need to have a FULL grid in BLUE....(As in your image #1), otherwise no dice. the 'frame' alone isn't good enough for PS to make a good assessment.

The partial effort in image 3 is close but without the full 'Grid' its just guessing at best.

I find that copying the part of the image first, then starting VP and creating the 'grid', then pasting and then jostling the image around in the grid is the easiest way.....unfortunately that sounds like exactly what you've done.

Try it again but make sure the grid is displaying ALL the grid lines not just a frame.....you can change the 'grid' spacing at the top of the window.

If you still have no luck I'll throw a video together of how I did it before.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Rich54

Guru
Try it again but make sure the grid is displaying ALL the grid lines not just a frame.....you can change the 'grid' spacing at the top of the window.

If you still have no luck I'll throw a video together of how I did it before.

Regards.
MrToM.

Ok, I'll play around with it a bit more. Thanks

hawkeye

Guru
I didn't have a clean image to work with, but try using the clone stamp in VP instead...

Attachments

• Step3.jpg
    Step3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 10

Rich54

Guru
Thanks, I'll experiment with Clone Stamp within VP, as well. If anybody wants a clean copy of the photo, the original thread is from Aug 5 in Free Photoshop Requests. The post is titled "Change from Landscape to Portrait..."