What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flipping horizontal or vertical

Eggy

Retired Moderator
It appears something changed since the last update to CC 2015.5.1.

I used to be able to flip horizontaly or verticaly a specific layer part of a project.
At a point I realized that I couldn't flip a layer on his own and that in the pull back of image/image rotation the command 'flip vertical or flip horizontal' was replaced by 'flip canvas vertical or flip canvas horizontal'.
When using those commands my whole canvas is flipping.

Untitled-1.jpg

To illustrate the problem in this 'project' I wanted to flip the triangle horizontal and only the triangle layer is active but every layer is affected and flipped.

Untitled-2.jpg

I tried to find a solution in 'preferences' but couldn't find one.

Can anybody please help me restore these settings?

MrToM

Guru
Hi Eggy,

This is a one of those 'Adobe' moments.....written on a Friday afternoon.....and its an easy fix.

The 'Flip' command works on the 'Bounding box' of the pixels on the active layer.
So...if you 'Flip' a rectangular box the result is that IT flips about ITS center.....thus nothing appears to happen.....its symmetrical.

If on the other hand you were to merge those two layers so that the pixels on that layer are NOT symmetrical and then 'Flip' it you'll see it does indeed 'Flip' them over.

In your example the 'Square' layer wont appear to be different....but the 'Triangle' will.....those pixels are NOT symmetrical about the 'Triangles' center.

Clicking the layer icon whilst holding CTRL will create a 'Bounding box', (Erroneously called a 'Selection'), around the pixels on the active layer.....'Flip' happens about the center of that bounding box.

There has always been the option to either 'Flip' the layer or the whole canvas.
The whole canvas is via IMAGE > IMAGE ROTATION > FLIP CANVAS HORIZONTAL
The layer via EDIT > TRANSFORM > FLIP HORIZONTAL

Its a bit odd but thats how it works.....with something symmetrical you just wont see the effect....even though it happened.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
:banghead:

Thanks MrT, and sorry for my dumb question.
Its simply edit-transform-flip...

Man, I even didn't had one drop of alcohol this weekend...
I think age is catching up with me and the amount of missing grey cells is starting to show.

:shocked:

MrToM

Guru
:rofl:

No worries mate....no such thing as a stupid question....at least is WAS a question!

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
I hear ya loud and clear....5 by 5.

Thank-you.

Regards.
MrToM.