What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS4 often "unresponsive"

Oofersonschmidtz

Often when I am opening PS it freezes up and is unresponsive. After about 30 seconds or so it becomes responsive again. Occasionally this happens in the middle of working on an open document as well. Photoshop hasn't crashed completely, but it is really a workflow killer.

I have up to date drivers for my graphics card ( 750TI )

8-core processor. 16 Gb of memory. 1 TB hard drive with lots of spare room.

I am at a loss here on how to remedy the unresponsiveness. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

edit: oops yes Windows 8.1

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome to PSG

It would help us to help you if you mentioned what Operating System you are using also what have you tried to resolve the issue!

Last edited:
First port of call would be to try resetting PS preferences
To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut:

• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

You can also check Event Viewer for application errors
Type eventvwr at the command prompt and look in the application section to see if there any error reports for PS.

You could also try reinstalling PS
Logging onto the PC with a different user profile to see if it's an issue with the current profile

Back