What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text Selection Photoshop Bug Is Driving Me Crazy!!! Please Help! Thanks!

jordangraham

Hello everyone,

First off thanks for having me as I'm new.

My issue I'm having is to do with the text selection. Some times for no apparent reason Photoshop will not allow me to select the text on a design.

What I try to select it it simply opens up a new layer instead of selecting the text I'm attempting to select.

What shows as the curser is this small square outline box with the arrow in the top left corner and then this very unusual odd looking vertical line with what looks like a Y on the top and an X on the bottom of it.

Can someone please tell me what this is and how to fix it?

I have even had to redo designs before because of it.

Thank you in advance for your help and time!

Respectfully,

J

Eggy

Retired Moderator
There's nothing wrong with your 'type' cursor.
Make your text layer active, select the type tool, place it on the first letter of your text layer and click. Do not click outside the text on screen because this will create a new text layer!

Untitled-1.jpg

MrToM

Guru
A quick and surefire way to select editable text is to DOUBLE click the text layer thumbnail...

text_MT_01.png

This will highlight all the text, not only making it ready to edit but also pinpointing exactly where that text is on the canvas...useful when you have multiple text layers.

To revert back after editing just single click the thumbnail again.

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks MrTom, that I didn't knew that.
Again I learned something today... (stay tuned for more...)