What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop won't open

JoeJ

All of a sudden Photoshop will not open. I usually print my photos after opening the thumbnails in PICTURES with Photoshop CS6. This is no longer possible. Why?
Thanks in advance for helping an elderly Photoshop newbie.

Joe

gedstar

Guru
Hi Joe

When you say Photoshop won't open are you getting any error messages? the more info you supply the better we will be able to help

JoeJ

No, am not getting any error messages. When I click on the Photoshop icon on desktop, the Photoshop tool box pops up with the desktop as background but the program itself (I mean, Photoshop) won't open.
Have been trying to open thumbnails with Photoshop, but all I get is the opened thumbnail in approx. postcard-size with another program, not Photoshop. How to get rid of this other program (I cannot find a name for it!) to revert to Photoshop?
I use Windows 10.

Joe

gedstar

Guru
OK try this, I assume your images are JPEGS

Right click on the image and select Open With, then select Choose another app, you should see Photoshop in the list of apps
image1.jpg

Then put a check mark here, this way PS will open all JPEGS as standard
image2.jpg

Last edited:

JoeJ

Renewed thanks for patience and prompt answers, but unfortunately Photoshop remains stubborn in not opening, Guess I must consult my tech.?

Kind regards.

Joe

gedstar

Guru
OK is Photoshop opening at all, if you double click on the PS icon will it load

If it's not opening that way try resetting PS preferences

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

Failing that a reinstall may be required
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

JoeJ

Many thanks again, and problem just solved. My tech suggested (by Remote Assistance) press and hold Alt + Tab; he then made some quick navigation at his end (excuse me, but can't remember other details as, at age 78, I am becoming very forgetful from one instant to the next!).

With renewed regards.

Joe

fredfish

Guru
Hi JoeJ

I am pleased that you have things sorted.

Whilst I don't want to scaremonger I hope that the "Tech" that you refered to is someone that you know and trust. Contacting someone who will take over your machine via remote assistance should always be done with caution as this is one way that scammers can break in to your system . Remote assistance can be extremely valuable (I perform this service for a variety of clients, friends and family members) - but it can leave you vulnerable.

I feel sure in your situation you know who it is "fixing" your computer - I am just shouting out a word of caution.

Cheers

John

ruellesmith

There are times that some updates need to be push through so your software applications won't be affected. I am not so sure the reason behind it. Properly you need to recheck everything and see which ones affect your photoshop.