What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

?: Select & Mask Tool in Photoshop CC 2017

greyhoundrick

Hello everyone,

Just downloaded PSCC 2017 and am having some problems with the new Select and Mask feature. The main problem is the "Onion skin" and "Layer" view modes won't work with my images.

I reset my preferences and also unchecked the graphics processor, but neither of those solved the problem.

What happens is after I make a selection and click on "Select and Mask" the view modes don't all work. I really like the Onion Skin mode and could not get it to function.

After some online research and no luck, I contacted online chat support and after quite a bit of time I did make some progress.

Im no Photoshop expert by any means, quite the contrary, so I will try to explain what happened and you folks can let me know what REALLY happened lol.

It turns out that in PSCC 2017 with the Select and Mask function if you are doing this on a single layer, such as the background, that it works fine. However, when I would do it on an image that had multiple layers it did not work.

The only way I can get it to work properly when I have an image with lots of layers is to either Merge or Flatten the layers first and then it works fine. I tried stamping multiple layers, but the Select and Mask did not work doing that. It will only work for me (in all Views) when I either do the adjustment on the Background Layer or I merge or flatten multiple layers.

Im not familiar enough with Photoshop to even know the differences amongst merging, stamping, flattening, grouping and linking layers so I need to do some research, but I do know that the aforementioned is what is happening with my program.

I hope this kind of makes sense, if it doesn't I apologize.

During my workflow I will usually have a lot of layers and when I feel its ok I will do a shift+option+command+E (which I believe is called stamping) and then to save space will delete layers under the stamped top layer. Im sure this isn't the best way to do it and I hope to improve as I continue with Photoshop.

Anyway, any comments and input you have about this would be greatly appreciated. I usually would use the Select & Mask Tool to select a part of an image to adjust or to invert and adjust the other part of the image. So now I am guessing if I want to do that in Photoshop CC 2017 that I will need to merge the layers first or else perform this task on the background layer right from the beginning of the processing steps.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for your time and reading my rambling and again, I apologize for not being more familiar with the program.

best always,

Rick

Correct Answer