What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Layers Not Working Properly!

Markie Jordan-Madden

I have a weird situation. A Windows 10 Update fiasco somehow wiped Windows from my laptop. After many hours on tech chat, I finally got windows installed again, which means I lost ALL my files on my C drive, including several PSD's I was working on. Re-downloaded Photoshop today, but the layers are not acting correctly. (I'm on Win 10 with Photoshop 2017) What I'm used to is you click a layer to highlight it, then click the Move tool, click and hold on the layer you want to me. Today, if I click the Move tool and try to move a layer, it reset my highlighted layer back to the first one I opened (in this case, it's my book cover template). No matter what I do, I can't get it to move the layer I want, unless I do a Control + T for free transform and move the layer that way. I'm used to the old way! I don't recall having to change any settings in my old Photoshop, the layers operated properly before. What am I doing wrong?

Markie Jordan-Madden

Okay, I'm a dork. I figured it out, the "Auto Select" Layer box was checkmarked; I don't remember doing it before (or this time!) but that's the solution in case anyone else has a similar problem.