What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ps memory problem

grimf

Hi everyone! I'm new here, hoping somebody might be able to help me with a problem i'm having. I am not sure if this is normal, but my photoshop takes up a ton of memory after a short amount of use. Once it gets really high, I can't do some actions without it lagging a whole lot =( one in particular that i find essential to using cause i draw is the flip canvas tool. I can only flip the canvas like 2-3 times before it starts to lag and take like 3 minutes to finish. I tried reinstalling photoshop but the problem didn't go away. I googled my butt off as well to no avail, apparantly this isn't a thing for anyone besides me. Anyways sorry for the complicated problem. I hope it's an easy fix (less hastle on both of our parts) and also thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to help.

P.s. Also almost forgot, I am using windows 10 as my OS and on a pc ofcourse. This is a recent problem, only a month or two ago i was having no trouble at all with ps.(hope this helps troubleshoot)

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Hi and Welcome to PSG

How much memory do you have installed, and what version of Photoshop do you have?

grimf

Oh, so sorry i forgot to put that, i wrote that message when i was half asleep haha. It's photoshop CC 2015 and I have 8 mb I believe, and ps memory usage goes up to like 5 mb for me after using it for a bit.

gedstar

Guru
I assume you mean 8GB of RAM.

Windows 10 will normally use about 2.8GB of RAM alone
Untitled.jpg

Check Task Manager in Windows to see how much RAM PS is using, I've seen PS use nearly 3GB just doing normal PS edits
Untitled1.jpg

There could be many other factors causing your issues, like the amount of free space on your hard drive, the scratch disk your using, how large the images are that your working on.
Have you installed that latest updates to PS

You could also try resetting PS preferences, reinstalling PS does not recreate the preference file
To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

Take a look at this
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Eggy

Retired Moderator
gedstar is gonna help you out further but one trick to free some memory (PS doesn't free RAM mem quick enough) is to press and hold ALT whilst clicking on help-->about Photoshop and keep pressing ALT for some ten sec (text will scroll faster).
This will force PS to release some of the used mem.
You might try this out.

grimf

Okay, thank you guys very much for all the useful info! I fiddled with some settings with your help and i think it's more or less fixed! there is still a little bit of lag but this is probably as good as it will get. On a side note, do you guys think getting more ram would help with the lag? Also now I am having a separate problem where my picture looks super jaggy if i am zoomed out, even though my lines are smooth and straight. Sorry if i am asking for too much help.

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
The more RAM the better PS is very RAM hungry and I mean hungry
The "super jaggy if i am zoomed out" could be related to your Graphics Card which you haven't mentioned, you need a dedicated GPU with at least 1GB RAM and keep the drivers up to date

Check here to make sure your GPU is detected
Untitled1.jpg

This is my system, what I have is a 250GB SSD for the OS and Apps, another 120GB SSD for the Scratch Disk. All my photos and Files are stored on a separate 1TB drive along with a 3TB for backups, pagefile is set to another separate drive.
GPU NVIDIA GTX 660 although will most likely upgrade that soon and 32GB of RAM
I also have another partition for creating Images of my hard drive which I do on a weekly basis and on top of that I have another 2TB of external storage that I use to backup my backups :cheesygrin:

Untitled.jpg

With this configuration I never have any issues running multiple apps on my PC and my PC runs super fast :giggle:

grimf

Yeah i checked to see if the gpu was detected and it was and the box was checked as well. No idea how to get rid of the jaggy effect. That's a really nice set up you got going, i'm jealous. haha, that's a lot of back ups. I don't have any cause im too lazy. Thanks again btw for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Last edited: