What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple Images not loading in Layers

Kaaaw

Hi,
I have a very peculiar problem:

every time I attempt to load multiple images into Layers in Photoshop, I can see the images being loaded but then they just disappear and there is nothing there. It doesn't matter how many times I try it or if I try from different places, i.e. mini Bridge or Bridge. I have 2 images that I'm trying to upload to layers, one is a Photoshop document (.psd) and the other is JPEG (.jpeg). The jpeg was originally a Pages document but I changed it to jpeg so Photoshop can recognise it. This has worked before. I cannot for the life of me figure out what could possibly be causing this problem. I have updated all of my software and I am on an Macbook Pro.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey,

I'm not sure what you mean when you state that your trying to upload to layers. Can you give a step by step description on what your doing exactly?

If your trying to open a psd file, just double click.

Here's some procedures for loading images into Photoshop.

1. Open Photoshop.
2. Choose FILE > OPEN

or

2. Choose FILE > PLACE

or

2. Drag and drop file onto the Photoshop icon on the dock

or

2. If you have an open psd, drag and drop on the open Photoshop canvas/window.

If your opening multiple images from Bridge into separate files, just select/highlight the images, go to FILE > OPEN WITH > ADOBE PHOTOSHOP

If your opening multiple images from Bridge into one file, select multiple photographs and choose TOOLS > PHOTOSHOP > LOAD FILES INTO PHOTOSHOP LAYERS.

fredfish

Guru
I suspect that the problem is that you are also trying to open a .psd file at the same time. Have you tried opening the .psd, saving it as an image file (EG .jpg, .png etc) and then trying to load the multiple images to a new document?

.psd is NOT an image format - it is a file format which potentially includes all sorts of additional settings that could clash with other .psd files (global adjustments etc.) hence my suggestion of converting to an image format first.

Cheers

John

Kaaaw

What I meant was I am trying to upload multiple images (in this case 2) into photoshop in the same document so I can see them in there own separate layers. The steps I have taken are; select both images by holding down the Shift Key and then right click, scroll down to Photoshop and select Load Files into Photoshop Layers... This sequence is performed through Mini Bridge.
If I want to perform this through Bridge, I select the 2 images by holding down the Shift Key and then going to Tools, scrolling down to Photoshop and selecting Load Files into Photoshop... In this case neither pathway has worked but I now have the answer....see below and thank you for your help.

Kaaaw

Thank you fredfish, that was exactly what I was looking for. Last time I wanted to do this was quite some time ago and I had forgotten all the little steps that lead me to successfully completing this action. The problem lies in Apples Pages. I had sloppily just changed the format from .pages to jpg (or .jpeg or .png) and expected it to work with Photoshop but somehow by doing this I had rendered it useless.
So, what you need to do if you want to open a pages document in Photoshop as an image is:
* Save the document as a PDF by selecting Print and saving it to wherever you want
* Open the document in Preview
* Change the document from .pdf to .jpg (or .jpeg or. png)
Then you can open it in Photoshop along with other image documents. I don't understand why you have to do this in such a round about way but it is what it is and that is how you do it :cheesygrin:

I didn't know that .psd documents can have so much trouble with other document either, so thank you for that:thumbsup:

Have a nice day.